General Aquaria Discussion • C. Moorii or Metriaclima Callainos?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

C. Moorii or Metriaclima Callainos?

Postby Woofie » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:10 am

We have had both the above living happily in a tank with Bristlenose and bumblebee catfish. Alas the cichlids have finally succumbed to old age :(
One of the two blue varieties above is supposedly a placid community tank dweller. I am asking because I wish to replace them I have added some clownies (loaches) to the tank to clean up the algae on the plants.
Are either of these compatible with clown loaches?
regards,
W:)
PS, I think I was a member of this forum eons ago, but I lost my log in details.
Woofie

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: C. Moorii or Metriaclima Callainos?

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am

Clown loaches don't each algae... at all.

If I were keeping clown loaches, I would go for C. moori... of course, I hope you have a very large tank though.
Fogelhund

Postby tanker3 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:30 pm

African Childs can live up to 8-10 year, so if they died of old age, you have had them for a while--good job.

Clown Loaches do no eat algae, and they do grow big. They can get along with many African cichlids, but I would not recommend it. If you really want them, then the C. Moori would be the better choice.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby BlueSunshine » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:59 am

We have 5 clown loaches in our 150 gal. african cichlid tank ( mbuna, peacocks and haps.). Turned out to be a great addition to it. They have enjoyed this tank for about 2 1/2 years with no trouble.
BlueSunshine

Postby Woofie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:53 am

Thanks for all your informative replies :) Well, the algae-free tanks with existing loaches in it, is a real mystery. There must be some other cause for its pristine condition ? C, morii are now on my shopping list :)
Woofie

Postby Woofie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:29 am

Mystery solved! I had forgotten about the emerald cory I was given. BTW He is a loner because emerald corys are very hard to get here
W:)
Woofie

Return to General Aquaria Discussion