General Aquaria Discussion • Parrot Cichlids

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Parrot Cichlids

Postby gmanshots » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I need a little help. I have 11 convict cichlids in my 100 gallon tank for four years now and I am interested in adding some Parrot cichlids to the tank. But I am not sure if they will be compatible with the convicts. If some one could give me some advice I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Frankie G.
gmanshots

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Parrot Cichlids

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:41 am

If the convicts are established, and breeding, it is unlikely that you can successfully add any other fish.
Fogelhund

Postby gmanshots » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Fogelhund wrote:If the convicts are established, and breeding, it is unlikely that you can successfully add any other fish.

My convicts haven't breed in over a year and a half.

Would it still be safe to add the parrots? For some unknown reason they stopped breeding.
gmanshots

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:06 pm

My first instinct is to ask how it is possible to have 11 convicts, and no breeding? First, if you've discovered some secret, to stopping the bunnies of the cichlid work, the rest of us might want to know. However, and on a more serious note, what exactly are the water parameters? I can't think of a reason, why happy and healthy convicts wouldn't be breeding.

But, adding other fish... risky proposition still.
Fogelhund

Postby tanker3 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:19 pm

You have 11 Convict that are over a year and half old and they have never bred? In that case, they will soon.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby gmanshots » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:07 am

Fogelhund wrote:My first instinct is to ask how it is possible to have 11 convicts, and no breeding? First, if you've discovered some secret, to stopping the bunnies of the cichlid work, the rest of us might want to know. However, and on a more serious note, what exactly are the water parameters? I can't think of a reason, why happy and healthy convicts wouldn't be breeding.

But, adding other fish... risky proposition still.

My bad bud. But they did breed two times in the four years I had them. They just haven't breed in the last year and a half. I had approx 50 fry the last time and 20 survived. After fighting among themselves for a place in the tank I ended up with 11 convicts for the last year. I am pretty sure most of them that survived were males that is why I think they didn't breed. But yesterday I was able to sell all of them to the place where I purchase my fish. Then I did a revamp and thoroughly cleaning of my 100 gallon tank to prepare the tank for the Red Blooded Parrots.

Would you be able to help me with water parameters so I can ensure the water is ok before I introduce the parrots. I will be picking up the parrots at the end of this week. I did leave about 20 gallons of the convict water behind to get the bugs growing and after 24 hours I tested the water this morning and the ph is 7.5, ammonia is 0, nitrate is 0.

Thank you,
Frankie G.
gmanshots

Return to General Aquaria Discussion