General Aquaria Discussion • Minimum Maintenance Tank

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Minimum Maintenance Tank

Postby harsmann » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi,

A friend of mine has a 325L/85 gal tank and is looking for a tank setup that minimizes the need for maintenance (but still has water and at least 1 fish in it : ).

The water is quite hard, so would suggest some CA cichlids, maybe a couple of firemouths and a convict.

What would you suggest?
140 gallon - 6 severum Rotkeil and some corys
harsmann

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Minimum Maintenance Tank

Postby siklid245 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:04 pm

1 or 2 electric blue jack dempsey's. They get big and some might say its to small of an aquarium, but I disagree. I think they would look great. All fish make a mess when they eat, especially those "EBJD", so "minimum maint" is a relative term. If you feed them less they make less of a mess and grow slower. If you feed them more, they grow faster and make more of a mess. Having good waterflow and a great filter, or two, is the best way to minimize maint. Having some test kits to make sure the water is good quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) is how you can minimize your water changes.
BUT
if you want your fish to act the way they like to, have great color, possibly breed for you, then water changes are a necessary evil. I love doing water changes now, because I can drastically tell the behavior of my fish change directly afterwards. Either way, to each their own and in the end its about having fun.
siklid245

Postby mambee » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:16 am

If your friend wants a minimal maintenance tank, then he probably shouldn't bother keeping fish. Doing water changes and cleaning filters are necessary to keep your fish healthy and happy.

Electric blue JDs are a poor choice because they are inherently weaker than regular JDs, and even experienced fishkeepers have trouble keeping them alive.

If your friend insists on keeping fish, I would recommend a single wet pet, such as a red devil. However, your friend still needs to perform regular maintenance. Regular water changes are the easiest thing to do, especially using a Python, to keep your fish healthy.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby harsmann » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. It was great for an "is that really what you want" discussion, including a frank exchange about water changes. I am not sure what will come out of it, but now we are talking about it. And I can look out for Red Devil or similar in the local fish store, where such fish are few and far between - the closest I remember seeing are Green Terrors.
140 gallon - 6 severum Rotkeil and some corys
harsmann

Return to General Aquaria Discussion