General Aquaria Discussion • "Skiddish" fish?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

"Skiddish" fish?

Postby MysteryMan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Do any of you have fish that go crazy when something in the room moves or a light comes on?

I have this 5-star general and i think it belonged to a kid before because it is so darn skiddish, just walking up to the tank it freaks out and runs into stuff. Even when i come home and open the front door, he zips back and forth all over running into stuff like i spooked him. The main problem is that he is also causing the other fish to be the same way, then the whole tank is freaked out. i have plenty of stuff for them to hide behind.

i dont have any kids or pets, its just me.. i dont understand why they get so scared. anyone have any advice for me? :fish:

thank you,
MysteryMan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: "Skiddish" fish?

Postby Aaron S » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:50 pm

Haha yep I know what you mean. How long have you had the skiddish fish? If you have had them less than 1-2months then I wouldn't worry about it yet. If longer than that then try to figure out what freaks them out. In general, if something looks menacing then it will freak them out...here are a list of things that have freaked out my fish before... FAST movements (this one is killer), Tall people (this is relative to the fish, so if I want to be sure not to freak out the fish then I will move up to the tank on my knees), some colors are easier for them to see so if I am wearing a white undershirt only then they tend to freak out - there are probably other colors too but I haven't narrowed it down.

In general my fish have calmed down dramatically since I have had them though. They still freak out when I have a bunch of people over or even new people. They clearly recognize my wife and I.
Aaron S

Postby Mr Chromedome » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:38 pm

I think the word you are looking for is spelled "skittish", not skiddish. The former fits the description you are giving, and the second does not exist in any dictionary.

Don't feel bad, you're not the only ones misspelling the word. I keep seeing it, it just finally got to me.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby MysteryMan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Aaron S wrote:Haha yep I know what you mean. How long have you had the skiddish fish? If you have had them less than 1-2months then I wouldn't worry about it yet. If longer than that then try to figure out what freaks them out. In general, if something looks menacing then it will freak them out...here are a list of things that have freaked out my fish before... FAST movements (this one is killer), Tall people (this is relative to the fish, so if I want to be sure not to freak out the fish then I will move up to the tank on my knees), some colors are easier for them to see so if I am wearing a white undershirt only then they tend to freak out - there are probably other colors too but I haven't narrowed it down.

In general my fish have calmed down dramatically since I have had them though. They still freak out when I have a bunch of people over or even new people. They clearly recognize my wife and I.

ok this makes sense. I've had that one for like 2 years now, always been that way. i am tall tho so maybe thats why
MysteryMan

Postby LeeAberdeen » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Are you understocked? Fish feel happier in a crowd and a sparsely-populated tank would be a source of skittishness. Had it myself and bumped up the stocking and, voila!, much happier now.
75g - Mixed - Yellow labs, Jalo Reef, Red-Top Hongi, Rubin Red
150g - Mixed all-male - Protomelas Steveni 'Taiwan Reef', Jacobfreibergi Eureka, OB Fire, Aulonocara Sunset, Fryeri Blue Ice, Chromobotia Macracanthus
LeeAberdeen

Postby MysteryMan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:39 pm

LeeAberdeen wrote:Are you understocked? Fish feel happier in a crowd and a sparsely-populated tank would be a source of skittishness. Had it myself and bumped up the stocking and, voila!, much happier now.

yeah i only have 3 fish for a 55 gallon, so maybe this is why, im going to be adding more once i move so ill let you kno! thanks for the tip :)
MysteryMan

Postby DJRansome » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 am

For a 48x12 tank a single fish or a pair may be the right stocking for Hemichromis elongates. By his signature Lee has Africans...that would be stocked differently.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion