General Aquaria Discussion • Cichlid completely disappeared!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Cichlid completely disappeared!

Postby BrunoZA » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:56 am

I just started a new 55G tank and put 5 juvenile mbunas in the tank. I am doing a fish-in cycle with Seachem Stability. Anyway, I woke up this morning and one of the fish has vanished off the face of the planet :-? :-? I took all the rocks out of the aquarium, I also sifted through all the sand, checked my filters (Internal power filters), checked all around the floor next to the tank and NOTHING!

Two of the fish are yellow labs but I am not sure what the others are. Unfortunately, I am met with blank stares at the LFS when I ask for specific cichlids by their Latin names lol. The blue-striped one on the top-left is the missing one. Any ideas?

BrunoZA

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cichlid completely disappeared!

Postby Aaron S » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:51 pm

I would suggest pictures of the whole tank so we can come up with ideas of where he could be. You are sure there are no fake and hollow decoration pieces? Do you have any other pets/kids?
Aaron S

Postby BrunoZA » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:11 pm

I took every single rock out of the tank and swoooshed every inch of sand. I only have sand and rocks in the tank, nothing else. i am starting to think the others ate him. is that a possibility ?
BrunoZA

Postby kwang » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Possibility. I've had the same experience in the past but I usually find bones left in the tank.
100 gallon malawi tank
26 gallon community fish tank
10 gallon shrimp & plants tank
kwang

Postby DJRansome » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Absolutely possible. Between eating things and decay it does not take long for a dead fish to disappear. You might find a dried up fish in an odd place later. Do you have pets?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BrunoZA » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:29 am

Oh boy :( That sounds horrid, but I guess it is part of fish-keeping huh? I don't have any pets that can reach the tank (bearded dragon). I'll keep an eye on water parameters over the next few days and hope for the best. Thanks everyone.
BrunoZA

Postby Granamyr » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:49 pm

Unless you have a tight lid, my guess is that it jumped out and flopped under something that you haven't looked at yet. Fish have ways of flying and flopping further than you think they could
90 gallon
4 Threadfin Acara 7 Apistogramma Baenschi 7 Emperor Tetras
1 Blue Phantom Pleco (L128)
Granamyr

Return to General Aquaria Discussion