General Aquaria Discussion • Mixing fish/cichlid aggression

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Mixing fish/cichlid aggression

Postby Deavo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:34 pm

So six months ago I inherited a 125 from a friend moving out of state so I decided to get cichlids never having these fish before so I made the first and biggest mistake a new person to the Hobby can do and that's listen to the people at the lfs. I have two Oscars approximately 6 inches in length, 2 5 inch peacocks 1 4 inch mbuna, 1 3 inch convict, 2 4 inch blue acaras, 1 5 inch rainbow shark, and 1 4 inch Sailfin pleco, all these fishermen living relatively peacefully for many many months until now. Now I have a crazy Peacock Cichlid who is nesting and attacking and chasing everyone. And tonight he had the nerve to go after a 6-inch Oscar and the Oscar ran. Is there anything I can do to reconcile this relationship or am I going to have to get rid of my cichlid? Thank you
Deavo

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Mixing fish/cichlid aggression

Postby DJRansome » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:08 pm

I would choose which continent you want and stock accordingly. When the peacock goes the mbuna will take over.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CeeJay » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:47 am

You got a mess. I would start all over and research the fish before buying. I have done this before and your life is going to be very frustrated with that mix.
CeeJay

Postby Melanddave6571 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Yep, agreed with others. Start over. You have all he wrong fish together. That's a newbie mistake. The tank we bought off Craigslist came with a crazy mix like that and we re-homed them to the LFS.

I prefer Mbuna over Haps and Peacocks. I did South American 12-15 years ago and after having Mbuna would never go back to S. American.
Melissa

75 Gallon tank
1 auratus
2 Yellow Acei
1 Johanni
2 Kenyi
1 Yellow lab
2 Pseudotropheus Socolofi
1 Red Top Zebra albino
1 Electric Blue Johanni
1 Red Top orange
2 Feather Fin