General Aquaria Discussion • When it becomes a hobby/obession?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

When it becomes a hobby/obession?

Postby Melanddave6571 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:58 pm

I know this is a Cichlid community and yes I have African cichlids but I am guessing there are many on here that go further and have other types of fish. My husband has been on YouTube a lot and has learned a lot from guys on there. I've learned a lot about Cichlids on there as well. I had a community tank as a teen and I remember water changes etc but that was a long time ago. I don't remember water testing but now I am a stickler for it as well as husband and daughter. Heck, we test the pool water!

My husband bought a 60 Gallon on Craigslist from a guy who had only had the tank about 6 months. He was ready to get it out of his house. He had 20 fish in that tank. 2 Pleco's and one was probably a foot long, 2 jack Dempsey's and various Cichlids from many lakes. All adults. I fell in love with them but knew I couldn't keep them because my husband wanted the tank so we re-homed them because we started losing them. It was heart breaking. Let's say we learned the hard way.

He turned it into a planted tank with community fish. But now he wanted a BIGGER tank....who's been there and done that, huh? So this weekend he found an acrylic 150 gallon with a sump. I had no idea what a sump was. Amazing. He got it home with help from a friend and as soon as it was set up I started cleaning it up with the water that was left a little in the tank. He had planned to rest Sunday but when he seen me going at it (I was excited) he started putting it back together. Last night he worked on it more while I cleaned 4 bags of sand. What a relaxing chore. I swear it's like meditation....just like watching the fish. He pulls up a chair and just plants himself in front of his tank while drinking a beer after work. Water changes, fish care...it's all like this weird meditating, peaceful act. We have horses (on YouTube as well) and I always told him how much I loved going outside and mucking stalls and feeding and he thought I was crazy because he wants no part of that...just rides them and I do the rest. It's my quiet time. Fish are his quiet time and I am really enjoying it as well.

So I will transfer my AC to the 60 (10 of them) and he is transferring his to the 150 and really likes a lot of plants. I am keeping my 56 column and now I have no idea what I am going to put in it. Probably community with plants too. I know someone here had suggested once about a pair of Angels but they are so delicate.

Here are all the tanks now....oh and the guy we got the 150 from had a lot of rock (big ones) that came with his tank so I will have the rock landscape now, no plants. Fish seem like they really don't like them. Any idea from all you fish aficionados what I could do with a 56 column? And please don't say sell it. I am space challenged. :D

Do you all feel the same? Do you have more than one tank and different species than Cichlids of any region. I see people on Youtube
Melissa

75 Gallon tank
1 auratus
2 Yellow Acei
1 Johanni
2 Kenyi
1 Yellow lab
2 Pseudotropheus Socolofi
1 Red Top Zebra albino
1 Electric Blue Johanni
1 Red Top orange
2 Feather Fin
and so far last I counted 6 babies
Melanddave6571

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: When it becomes a hobby/obession?

Postby CeeJay » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:42 am

Yes you have to watch out I stared by just getting one tank and now have 6 tanks and planning a big one. (400 gallon) I promise myself that I would never go back to breeding again. That became a job that I did after I got home every night. Your lucky, my wife does have much to do with my hobby but she also doesn't fight it either. I would hate see were I would be if she was really interested like me. She won't let me have any tanks up stair so I have to stay in the basement. Just have flooded to many floors.

That 56 would look good with discus.

Best of luck
CeeJay

Postby Melanddave6571 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:59 pm

CeeJay wrote:Yes you have to watch out I stared by just getting one tank and now have 6 tanks and planning a big one. (400 gallon) I promise myself that I would never go back to breeding again. That became a job that I did after I got home every night. Your lucky, my wife does have much to do with my hobby but she also doesn't fight it either. I would hate see were I would be if she was really interested like me. She won't let me have any tanks up stair so I have to stay in the basement. Just have flooded to many floors.

That 56 would look good with discus.

Best of luck

Well, After some deep thought and deliberation I have decided to sell the 56 and as planned transfer my Mbuna to my husbands 60 gallon as planned. He didn't want to keep it in the first place and I wanted to make it a community. But then I realized I had no idea what to put in it because I don't like community fish. I LOVE my Mbuna if that makes sense? I could not love the 56 like I love my Mbuna. Plus I been neglecting my horse (my true love) :( with all this tank stuff as well as the goats, dogs and cats and being self employed and time in general. You can only do so much before you have to take a sabbatical to a nut institution :D

His 150 is turning out awesome. He is working on set up as I type. He found some drift wood, tree pieces (all been treated) and using his old sand and the tank is cycled and ready to go. Me, I can't wait until his 60 is empty. :thumb:
Melissa

75 Gallon tank
1 auratus
2 Yellow Acei
1 Johanni
2 Kenyi
1 Yellow lab
1 Red Top Zebra albino
1 Electric Blue Johanni
1 Red Top orange
2 Feather Fin
and so far last I counted 6 babies
Melanddave6571

Postby My2butterflies » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:47 am

Post pictures once both tanks are set up!
It made me sad to hear you decided to sell the tank, but completely understandable. One does only have so much time in a day.

As far as obsession goes.... I don't think I'm there.... Yet. Lol.
I only have a 10g and a 75g tank. 11 fish between both tanks currently.
I also have a small pond and a koi pool I keep in the basement. 12 "feeder" commons/comets outside. 10 koi 4 of which are a foot or longer. Biggest is 14inches. Smallest is 5.5inches.
2 fantails 6-7inches
and two shubunikins if I remember right were 6-7 as well.

I really want to turn my sunroom into a tank room. Take the couch and cabinet out and line the walls with tanks
~ Mrs.E ~
My2butterflies

Postby CeeJay » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:09 am

Well, After some deep thought and deliberation I have decided to sell the 56 and as planned transfer my Mbuna to my husbands 60 gallon as planned. He didn't want to keep it in the first place and I wanted to make it a community. But then I realized I had no idea what to put in it because I don't like community fish. I LOVE my Mbuna if that makes sense? I could not love the 56 like I love my Mbuna. Plus I been neglecting my horse (my true love) :( with all this tank stuff as well as the goats, dogs and cats and being self employed and time in general. You can only do so much before you have to take a sabbatical to a nut institution :D

His 150 is turning out awesome. He is working on set up as I type. He found some drift wood, tree pieces (all been treated) and using his old sand and the tank is cycled and ready to go. Me, I can't wait until his 60 is empty. :thumb:[/quote]

I agree with you on the 56 gallon very tall tank.

What no chickens. I got eggs or hens for sale. You sound like the family farm. I can see why your husband got a tank if you got the horses. Hate to see the vet bill on those are. Not to mention cleaning up behind them. You got to be pretty commit to have large livestock. Great for you and I sure when your riding it makes all that effort worth it.
CeeJay

Postby Melanddave6571 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:17 am

My2butterflies wrote:Post pictures once both tanks are set up!
It made me sad to hear you decided to sell the tank, but completely understandable. One does only have so much time in a day.

As far as obsession goes.... I don't think I'm there.... Yet. Lol.
I only have a 10g and a 75g tank. 11 fish between both tanks currently.
I also have a small pond and a koi pool I keep in the basement. 12 "feeder" commons/comets outside. 10 koi 4 of which are a foot or longer. Biggest is 14inches. Smallest is 5.5inches.
2 fantails 6-7inches
and two shubunikins if I remember right were 6-7 as well.

I really want to turn my sunroom into a tank room. Take the couch and cabinet out and line the walls with tanks

Ha! Don't be sad! I'm keeping it! I just couldn't do it! It's cycling as I type. See my reply in SET UP about moving the AC's. :D I will post pics soon.

Not there yet? It's a dangerous place to waiver at! lol Sun room would make a fabulous tank room!

Be careful what you wish for.

CeeJay wrote:Well, After some deep thought and deliberation I have decided to sell the 56 and as planned transfer my Mbuna to my husbands 60 gallon as planned. He didn't want to keep it in the first place and I wanted to make it a community. But then I realized I had no idea what to put in it because I don't like community fish. I LOVE my Mbuna if that makes sense? I could not love the 56 like I love my Mbuna. Plus I been neglecting my horse (my true love) :( with all this tank stuff as well as the goats, dogs and cats and being self employed and time in general. You can only do so much before you have to take a sabbatical to a nut institution :D

His 150 is turning out awesome. He is working on set up as I type. He found some drift wood, tree pieces (all been treated) and using his old sand and the tank is cycled and ready to go. Me, I can't wait until his 60 is empty. :thumb:

I agree with you on the 56 gallon very tall tank.

What no chickens. I got eggs or hens for sale. You sound like the family farm. I can see why your husband got a tank if you got the horses. Hate to see the vet bill on those are. Not to mention cleaning up behind them. You got to be pretty commit to have large livestock. Great for you and I sure when your riding it makes all that effort worth it.[/quote]

I changed my mind. A woman's prerogative! Ha ha. I just couldn't do it. It is tall. I put husband's gravel in and I said I need another bag. That will shorten it somewhat and I put a couple of cool rocks in it that came with his 150....3 live plants and some fake silk on order that are tall to cover the back some.

No Chickens! Messy little guys. We live near a guy who sells fresh eggs...he's got 300 chickens.

Husband's got a horse too! As does daughter! So 3 horses to take care of to. I muck, feed 5 days a week at 7:30 AM and daughter does PM and weekends. But that is therapy! Nothing like being outside with them. We camp with them a lot and they're on our property so we can ride everyday if time allows. Which in summer is tough. Glad Fall is around the corner!
Melissa

75 Gallon tank
1 auratus
2 Yellow Acei
1 Johanni
2 Kenyi
1 Yellow lab
1 Red Top Zebra albino
1 Electric Blue Johanni
1 Red Top orange
2 Feather Fin