General Aquaria Discussion • Huge tank

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Huge tank

Postby Cichlid boy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:18 am

I saw a 250 gallon tall tank for sale. The tank is 50" long 56" high and 21" deep. Has anyone here ever had a tank like that.
Cichlid boy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Huge tank

Postby Aaron S » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:55 pm

56inches high... sounds like a nightmare. Think about what you have to do do clean that! There are no tools on the market made for that height that I know of. I would pass on that tank really quick.
Aaron S

Postby Cichlid boy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:18 pm

Ya I'm not going to get it I don't have the room but I was wondering if anyone on herd has had one.
Cichlid boy

Postby BC in SK » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:25 am

You don't see aquariums that deep because they are not practical in terms of materials and cost. The deeper the tank, the higher the water pressure. For a tank to be 56" high, you would need glass at over 1" thick. Very expensive and also very heavy to move.
Maybe the tank is intended to be a terrarium? If the glass is not super thick then the tank is not meant to hold water. Or it can't be filled anywhere near the 56" height.
BC in SK

Postby CeeJay » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:58 am

Yes I have seen tanks that big.

For me I have really been think about tank for my haps. What I'm look at would be 120"x 28"x 28" high. That's about 400 gallon. I would never have tank over 28" tall. I had one about 32" tall and it sucked. Just could barely reach bottom with out putting my head in the tank my shirt was always wet. But I'm sure it would look cool with fish and rock. It seems like a lot of big tanks are build with high sides and I don't think many people think what's it going to take to keep it looking good.
CeeJay

Return to General Aquaria Discussion