Page 1 of 2

Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:40 am
by aausa1983
I know there are a million questions and answers out there about feeding but I want to ask again to try and get some sort of consensus. Yes, there are many factors involved with fish growth, such as water temperature, water changes, food quality, etc.To keep this simple, how many cichlids do you have and, assuming you feed pellets, approximately how many pellets do you feed them? How many times a day do you feed?

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 am
by My2butterflies
I had an oscar(heartbroken because I lost her) she put on 2" in a month. I fed 3-4x a day and 2-4 med/large pellets at a time. I broke them in half an fed one at a time. I was able to hold one in my hand and have her hand feed. She was so amazing.

Now I just have a gt. he eats about 3-4x a day and eats 1- 1 1/2 pellets at a time. I break them into thirds because he is only 2" and his mouth isn't very big. I also feed freeze dried bloodworms 2-3x a week. Just a little pinch. He is housed with my kids glowfish(not a fan of them, but kids really wanted them) right now so he also eats some of their flake food. It's a food for betas, but they seem to love it. It also has freeze dried bloodworms in it. They get a pinch 2x a day. The glow fish are like piranhas and also eat 2/3 of a pellet a day. They are always stealing them before the terror gets them.

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:18 pm
by DJRansome
I feel pellets to all. I have about 100 cichlids. The pellets are 1mm size.

When thinking in terms of "per fish" I think about the size of the eye. I understand the fish stomach is the size of the eye so I shoot for that amount.

Realistically, maybe1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon for a 75G tank daily.

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:54 am
by aausa1983
Ok, thanks. That really helps because it gives me a ballpark figure so I know whether or not I'm way off. When you refer to a 75g tank, how many cichlids roughly would you say that 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon is sufficient for? ...juvenile aceis, labs, peacocks, haps...

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:59 pm
by DJRansome
Well in a 75G all male I like 12 fish. So I'd go with the 1/4 teaspoon. Then see how their bellies look and how the algae goes.

The larger amount would be my tank with mbuna, including demasoni so that would be more like 30 fish.

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:44 am
by aausa1983
DJRansome wrote:Well in a 75G all male I like 12 fish. So I'd go with the 1/4 teaspoon. Then see how their bellies look and how the algae goes.

The larger amount would be my tank with mbuna, including demasoni so that would be more like 30 fish.


Hello, I ended up checking how many NLS pellets amount to your advice of 1/4 tsp per day. I counted over 200 pellets. That amounts to around 17 pellets per fish per day (assuming 12 fish in the 2-3+ inch range). Does that sound right?

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:49 am
by DJRansome
17 pellets sounds like a lot. Are the fish getting fat?

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:12 pm
by Iamwho
The amount of feed is very much what brand of pellet you feed. The lower the quality, the more you have to feed, since fish are not getting the nutrients they need. For a good pellet, once a day is plenty once the fish settle.

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:38 pm
by aausa1983
DJRansome wrote:17 pellets sounds like a lot. Are the fish getting fat?


I'm going off of your advice of 1/4 tsp and another forum I read that as well, but it didn't sound right to feed that many pellets per day. I have been using 1 mm NLS pellets. When I fill a 1/4 tsp, it amounts to 200+ pellets. You said that you were feeding that much for 12 cichlids in a 75g, unless you're using a bigger pellet?

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:20 pm
by DJRansome
It sounds like a lot to me too...my question was since you have been feeding your fish this amount for 3 months...are they getting fat?

Or maybe you fed less...then my question is...are they getting skinny?

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:04 am
by aausa1983
DJRansome wrote:It sounds like a lot to me too...my question was since you have been feeding your fish this amount for 3 months...are they getting fat?

Or maybe you fed less...then my question is...are they getting skinny?


I have not been feeding them 1/4 tsp. I have been feeding them probably 60-80 pellets per day, which is roughly 5-7 each per day. The main reason I'm asking is because these are my first cichlids and I want to make sure they're growing at the proper rate so that, if needed, I can adjust their feeding amount. I have had most of them for about 7 months (roughly April timeframe). See pics at the following link. You can scroll down to see more. I posted 12 of them.

http://pho.to/AW3t9

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:13 am
by DJRansome
A couple of them look a little skinny, I would increase the food.

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:43 am
by aausa1983
DJRansome wrote:A couple of them look a little skinny, I would increase the food.


Up to 100 pellets a day? ...which is 1/8 tsp? ...or more?

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:49 am
by Aaron S
I watched one of my yellow labs eat 25 of the small NLS pellets one day (she is about 2.5 or 3 inches long). Maybe that helps?

Re: Another Feeding Question

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:14 am
by aausa1983
Aaron S wrote:I watched one of my yellow labs eat 25 of the small NLS pellets one day (she is about 2.5 or 3 inches long). Maybe that helps?


But is that how much you feed on a daily basis? If not, how much do you typically feed?