General Aquaria Discussion • Transition from Semi-Agg to African Cichlid

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Transition from Semi-Agg to African Cichlid

Postby jenzjannai » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:02 pm

I’m looking to change my 29 gal aquarium to a more aggressive (African) Cichlid type tank. I have the following fish- all full grown. Can I add 2 young Cichlids soon, or would any of these below be dinner? I plan to create some caves before the additions~

3 Buenos Aires Tetras
3 Gold Barbs
2 Hatchet Fish

1 large Spanner Barb

1 Picus Catfish
1 Yoyo Biotia
1 large Pleco

I’ve googled info for compatibility, and it seems I’m close to being able to transition w/out having to return/trade in a bunch of fish. The final straw was this week I bought 3 swordtail fish and by day 3 my big spanner barb had eaten each of them whole (I know so because I saw the little swordtail sticking out of his mouth lol). He doesn’t bother the full size BA Tetras, Gold Barbs or Hatchets so maybe I’m in the clear to transition. Thank you for any input.
jenzjannai

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Transition from Semi-Agg to African Cichlid

Postby DJRansome » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:55 pm

I would avoid Malawi in a 29G but maybe shellies and a small pair of shell dwellers?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BC in SK » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:16 am

Pelvicachromis pulcher (kribensis) or Anomalochromis thomasi (African butterfly cichlid) could be options in a 29 gal. with your stock.
BC in SK

Postby jenzjannai » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:54 am

Thank you both.

I looked at shell dwellers, and I love what I see, but I am not sure about changing to sand from store bought aquarium 'gravel'. Should I steer clear of shellies unless I am looking at a sand for my tank? Could I put a few large flat rocks on the bottom and place shells on those? It seems like they play with the sand and shells in the videos I looked at.

I've actually kept Kribensis in my tank before and enjoyed them - I will look at them again and consider the butterfly as well. Thank you!
jenzjannai

Postby DJRansome » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Gravel won't kill the shellies, but I would definitely switch to sand for Africans.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion