General Aquaria Discussion • Health hazards to fishkeeping?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Health hazards to fishkeeping?

Postby BrunoZA » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:59 am

I have had snakes (Boa constrictors) in the past and was always wary of contracting E.Coli when handling my snake or cleaning out his terrarium.

Being a first-time fish-keeper, I was wondering if you folks are aware of any potential things to watch out for when keeping fish? Such as handling old tank water, touching fish waste, algae etc ?
BrunoZA

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Health hazards to fishkeeping?

Postby Prognathodon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:02 pm

I grew up playing on the beaches of and swimming in Lake Michigan (and have swallowed a fair bit of it in the process), one of the N. American Great Lakes, occasionally crewed on and cleaned my Mom's charter fishing boat, and have cleaned up after a baby, dogs, cats, and snakes. I do wash my hands after coming in contact with water from the aquarium, but it's pretty low on my personal list of pathogen concerns.
3 BN Plecos
Prognathodon

Postby BrunoZA » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:52 am

Wow you sure gave your immune system a lot of practice! I guess what freaked me out was watching some marine tank maintenance on youtube and learning that there the second most toxic substance known to man is commonly found in marine tanks (a type of coral)! I suppose if i just wash my hands after cleaning my tank I should be fine. Thanks Prognathodon :)
BrunoZA

Postby My2butterflies » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:44 am

I have never even thought of a tank making anyone sick.
I have two tanks, a pond, a koi pool, two ferrets, a cat, two dogs, and I handle wild mice, shrews, frogs, birds, anything I can get my hands on. Lol I've never gotten sick.
As a child I had wild rabbits, an iguana, a rat, many snakes, toads, frogs, skinks, salamanders, wild birds, dogs, wild cats, the list goes on, haha.
If you have even just basic hygiene you don't have any reason to worry about getting sick from any animal. At least in my experiences I've never had issues. Just wash your hands after handling them.
~ Mrs.E ~
My2butterflies

Return to General Aquaria Discussion