General Aquaria Discussion • Bio media

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Bio media

Postby dledinger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:37 pm

As many of you know from my posts, I run almost exclusively AquaClear HOBs. They've always worked great for me even back in the day when they had no bio media. FWIW, I always had great luck with penguins too, they just tend to be noisy for my living room!

I wondered some time ago if the brand name bio media was worth a hoot. I mean, I did fine without ANY for so long. I've found that the biggest use was always jump-starting a new tank. It's sure handy for that.

Anyway, on the same theme, I decided to give lava rock a shot. I bought a bag (a huge bag) for 3.99 or so, along with 100 onion sacks off Amazon for a couple bucks. I sorted the lava rock by selecting the smaller pieces for my HOBs and using the larger pieces in my can. I discarded anything that wasn't super light....figuring it had little value over a solid rock. In the ACs I'm able to fit at least double the volume that the filters come with and likely more.

So far so good. No issues in any tank. I'm wondering if I'll ever see any favorable long term effects with respect to the nitrates. It's often reported that lava rock can allow anaerobic bacteria to live deep within, but I've always been skeptical.

Anyone else going cheap and foregoing expensive bio media?
125 Gallon Mbuna
60 Gallon Tropheus Duboisi
65 Gallon Amazon
Too many little tanks to count
dledinger

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Bio media

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:56 pm

I use pot scrubbers in some filters. Not my favorite media but they are cheap and they do work.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Bio media

Postby dledinger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:45 pm

That would probably be my attempt at a go-to media with a sump or canister only setup.

Thanks!
125 Gallon Mbuna
60 Gallon Tropheus Duboisi
65 Gallon Amazon
Too many little tanks to count
dledinger

Return to General Aquaria Discussion