General Aquaria Discussion • How long can I leave a Peacock in a bucket?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

How long can I leave a Peacock in a bucket?

Postby 6stringvince » Sat May 28, 2016 3:13 pm

So, I recently set up a new aquarium (49 gal) with 5 African cichlids in a week ago and 3 more plus a pleco today. It didn't take long for my Red Shoulder Peacock to dominate (see my post "fish compatibility") since day one. He is a relentless brute, the other fish are confined to the corners while he roams the tank. I had hoped that things might have changed with the addition of the new fish, considering one is considerably bigger but not so, full speed ahead ramming of new and old. So I read you can isolate for a " time out" for a while and see if things "reset". I also rearranged all the rocks in the tank, problem is I don't have a spare tank so I put him in a bucket (2 gal maybe?). I'm going to the shop to get an air pump to add some oxigen to the water and I don't plan to feed while in there so there's no poop to poisen the water, I also plan on swapping out some water with the aquarium every so often. Last chance for this guy or he's going back to the shop.
Question is, how long can I (or should I) keep him in there?
Thanks for any help.
6stringvince

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How long can I leave a Peacock in a bucket?

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 28, 2016 7:16 pm

I would do a 5G bucket and add a cycled filter and heater. Then he can stay in there for days. However...

Time out doesn't usually work and you would want to keep him in time out for weeks to give it a fair chance.

What is the dimension of the 49G?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby 6stringvince » Sat May 28, 2016 8:47 pm

I picked up a 10 Gal tank with filter, I have to get a heater but my place is pretty warm right now, 76.
Well he's not happy (not eating), but every one else in my main tank sure is, swimming along not bothering with each other.
I'll give him a week and re introduce, if that doesn't pan off he goes...
My 49 gal is actually a 46 (that's what happened when you get old), it's 3' X 20" high..
6stringvince

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 29, 2016 12:08 pm

36" tank might be the problem overall. 8 male peacocks would be better in 48x12.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion