General Aquaria Discussion • Seachem Prime to Safe transition

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Re: Seachem Prime to Safe transition

Postby BillD » Sat May 28, 2016 8:47 pm

noddy wrote:
dledinger wrote:
That is very odd. I used to dose 1/2 tsp in my 120g tanks that I drained almost to the bottom every weekend. The tanks were full of Tropheus.
Is it possible that you are doing to large a water change for the type of fish that you are keeping?
I know I couldn't do 75% water changes with my Altos for example no matter how much conditioner I added.

Does Toronto water have chloramine? We don't here in Oshawa and Whitby. I only started using dechlor (make my own) a few years ago. One of our club members still does 50% water changes without dechlor and has for 30+ years.
BillD

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby dledinger » Sun May 29, 2016 11:39 am

noddy wrote:That is very odd. I used to dose 1/2 tsp in my 120g tanks that I drained almost to the bottom every weekend. The tanks were full of Tropheus.
Is it possible that you are doing to large a water change for the type of fish that you are keeping?
I know I couldn't do 75% water changes with my Altos for example no matter how much conditioner I added.

Nah, this is an Mbuna tank. They get 75-80% all the time for years on end. I think I just have unusually high chloramines. I'm spooked, too, after that first attempt with the low dosing.
125 Gallon Mbuna
60 Gallon Tropheus Duboisi
65 Gallon Amazon
Too many little tanks to count
dledinger

Postby noddy » Sun May 29, 2016 11:56 am

BillD wrote:
noddy wrote:
dledinger wrote:
That is very odd. I used to dose 1/2 tsp in my 120g tanks that I drained almost to the bottom every weekend. The tanks were full of Tropheus.

Does Toronto water have chloramine? We don't here in Oshawa and Whitby. I only started using dechlor (make my own) a few years ago. One of our club members still does 50% water changes without dechlor and has for 30+ years.

Yep, we have chloramines in the water here. There have been one or two occasions where I have completely forgot to add safe/prime and the tropheus/petros had been wobbling on the bottom within a few minutes of filling. Adding the dechlor.. would see them back up and swimming in no time. Unfortunately cyps/paracyps don't seem to bounce back that easily.
noddy

Postby noddy » Sun May 29, 2016 12:14 pm

dledinger wrote:
noddy wrote:That is very odd. I used to dose 1/2 tsp in my 120g tanks that I drained almost to the bottom every weekend. The tanks were full of Tropheus.

Nah, this is an Mbuna tank. They get 75-80% all the time for years on end. I think I just have unusually high chloramines. I'm spooked, too, after that first attempt with the low dosing.

Weird stuff alright, I would be spooked as well. Hopefully you have figured out the dosing now and won't have any issues in the future.
noddy

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion