General Aquaria Discussion • 55 or 40 Long?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

55 or 40 Long?

Postby christy_lee » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi Friends!

Is there any real benefit to the extra 4 inches in height with the standard 55 gallon tanks versus the 40 longs?

The 40 long is intriguing to me because of the shorter height. I've always disliked the height of my bow front which is the same as a 55 gallon (21"h)

I currently keep a mix of tangs (ocellatus gold, calvus, nigripinnis) in my 46 bowfront. Before them I had community fish (rasboras, tetras, corydoras). My community fish never ever came all the way up to the top (21"h) and I'm now noticing my tangs don't either. I figure that doesn't mean the extra height doesn't have any benefit though.

I'm looking to "upgrade" my tank in the next few months (one, for length and two, cause I'm growing tired of the curved look haha) and was considering either the 55 or the 40 long. Any thoughts?

I'd like to carry my equipment over to the new tank of course - current filter is an Eheim 2213 and my heater is an Aqueon Pro 200w.
christy_lee

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 55 or 40 Long?

Postby DJRansome » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:43 pm

I have both and like the 40 Long for racks. I usually stock only 2 species and avoid the aggressive ones.

The way I stock you get the extra species with the 55G.

55G is usually cheaper because the 40 Long is a special order.

The nigripinnis should appreciate the height, but you need caves all the way to the surface for them ideally in any tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby christy_lee » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks for the info!! hmm.... such a tough decision!

One of my biggest struggles with my current tank has always been aquascaping. I can get a great scape in the lower to mid region of my tank..but then I get nervous stacking the rocks so high and man I was never a good planter!

Likely contributes to why nothing ever goes on in the top region of my tank LOL there's nothing there but water.

That alone makes me think I personally might be better off with the 40 Long, even if it means less species.

It will be hard to beat the price on a 55g right now though since Petco has their dollar per gallon sale going on. UGHHH hahaha
christy_lee

Postby Prognathodon » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:30 pm

Check and see if your PetCo actually has 40 longs. Mine had 40 breeders instead.
3 BN Plecos
Prognathodon

Postby Als49 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Imho the extra 4" height means more water volume. And more water volume means more parameter stability. Hence it's real benefit :)

And I wonder if Eheim 2213 is big enough for 40G? I use Eheim 2215 + Atman HF-0600 for 40G, and for 55G I use Eheim 2217 + Atman HF-0600.

If you're nervous stacking rocks high, how about use drift woods on top of rocks instead?
MantraAQUASCAPE.com

Planted Tanks
95G Discus, Geo
58G N. Brichardi | Neon Jewel | Tropheus
52G Gold Occie | Demasoni, Leleupi, Julie
40B Multi, Julie, Comps
Als49

Return to General Aquaria Discussion