General Aquaria Discussion • Lake mixing

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Lake mixing

Postby Mike A M » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:49 pm

I'm new in here, so first off, forgive me. :D
I know everyone says don't mix cichlids from different lakes buuuuuut; I love the calvus and the fire red uganda; What are thier chances in my malawi tank.
13 mbunas, 5 peacocks, and 2 haps. I've seen several on line "pros' with pundamilias in their's and was hoping....... Thanks in advance for your input
Mike
Mike A M

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Lake mixing

Postby james1983 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:02 pm

I had a pretty large Uganda fire Victorian with haps and peacocks. He lost most of his color except some red. I believe djransome also tried tangs and Victorians with haps and peacocks and had similar results. The fish lived but didn't really stand out.
james1983

Postby DJRansome » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:08 pm

I've tried calvus in with haps and peacocks...they act kind of frozen. If you have never seen them with a Tang community they may look fine to you.

I've tried nyererei, flamebacks and ruby greens with haps and peacocks, male tank. They lost color.

I tried the nyererei with mixed gender mbuna, they became almost black. Kept that going for more than 2 years. Females did not flourish.

Species tank, brilliant!
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Mike A M » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks for your responses. Think I'm gonna try a black calvus. Any ideas on a "true red" cichlid. I tried a ob peacock that was mostly red, he never regained his color once I got him home. All of my friends are between 3" and 4.5". So intimidation is a real factor. I'm only a year into the hobby, so far so good, thanks to kind folks like yourselves. So again, many thanks for your input.
Mike A M

Return to General Aquaria Discussion