General Aquaria Discussion • Ever had an argument with fish store staff?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Ever had an argument with fish store staff?

Postby LeeAberdeen » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:15 am

Think we all know to treat advice from fish store staff with extreme caution, but sometimes even their low standards reach new depths. Following on from the one who didn't even know what a 'cycle' was and probably thought I'd pedalled there on my Raleigh Chopper, and the one who insisted most of your BB is in the water and nothing to do with your filter, the latest is one who insisted I should treat bloat with something labelled 'General Tonic'. Yeah, like that's going to work.

Normally I just let it go, but this time I bit. "I might as well just set fire to my money as buy that," I told him.

For some reason he didn't let it go either and comes back with: "We do know what we're talking about, you know."

"Not if you're trying to sell me that, you don't," I countered, quite proud of my retort.

Anyway, it descended a bit from there, with me thinking he's a b**l-end and him thinking I'm a know-all. Whatever happened to the customer's always right?

They don't like me in there because if I see people contemplating buying discus I always sidle over and tell them about the daily water changes needed for juvies then watch them walk away. Funny how the staff never tell them that...
75g - Mixed - Yellow labs, Jalo Reef, Red-Top Hongi, Rubin Red
150g - Mixed all-male - Protomelas Steveni 'Taiwan Reef', Jacobfreibergi Eureka, OB Fire, Aulonocara Sunset, Fryeri Blue Ice, Chromobotia Macracanthus
LeeAberdeen

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Ever had an argument with fish store staff?

Postby Fish Jerk » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:36 pm

A funny tale about scottish customer service :lol:

When it comes to bloat there is not a ton of solid info. You are probably not much better off to do whatever some internet characters prescribe than to use a "general tonik" to be honest. If it's really bloat anyway.

I've never had an argument here but I have gotten some bad advice, yet also some good advice I did not think of. I just file away anything they say to ponder and research later.
Fish Jerk

Postby dledinger » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:03 pm

The only thing that ever gets me is when I try to buy several fish at once. I get the scripted, "what size tank" deal. Most fish I buy NEED to be added in the quantities I am buying.

But no, I never waste my time arguing with them and I generally let other customers do what other customers will do. Most of them are going to believe the fish store over some stranger anyway...I mean, what help could a disinterested party possibly provide?
125 Gallon Mbuna
60 Gallon Tropheus Duboisi
65 Gallon Amazon
Too many little tanks to count
dledinger

Postby Hapguy63 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Big box pet stores are the worst. I try to avoid them all together but sometimes you just can't beat their prices. I have heard so much horrible advise given at them that it boarders as criminal... Now a days when I visit one I just bite my tongue go in get what I need and get out...
Hapguy63

Postby Fish Jerk » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:54 pm

Well the big box guys are very smart at business. 1 dollar per gallon for tanks, 3 fish for 3 dollars. Then spend 9 bucks on a gang valve and 200 in total equipment most of which is useless #%$&. But the help there varies and sometimes is not bad.
Fish Jerk

Postby dledinger » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:47 am

Overheard in a couple local stores yesterday:

"Never change 50% of your water....even that is way too much"

"Sure, you can keep angelfish with Africans, just put the angels in for a week first"

The stock in these store always blows my mind. Never more than a few of a species. Usually less. One store had (1) discus, (1) frontosa, (1) calvus, and (1) tropheus. How do you properly stock a tank?!?
125 Gallon Mbuna
60 Gallon Tropheus Duboisi
65 Gallon Amazon
Too many little tanks to count
dledinger

Postby BenMoffat » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:57 am

Never argued with them but educated them on selling Tetra Safe Start that went out of date in 2014.... Not much fun paying 500kr on a product that went out of date 2 years ago. But the young girl was actually grateful for me bringing it up as she had no clue these products had sell by dates on them, she removed all the huge 250ml bottles and threw them in the trash, and all the small bottles she checked every sell by date on and the ones that were out of date got thrown, the ones nearly out of date got reduced by half and the ones still in date sat on the shelf.
I actually thought that once I had left she would have put it all back, but I was in the day after as I forgot to grab something for my sons aquarium but nope, all big bottles was gone and the wee bottled marked up etc.

Was well impressed, we now have a pretty good relationship and speak for ages when I come in about different things, goes to show that if you approach things the right way some people are susceptible to listening :)
240L: Mbuna African Cichlids
55L: Guppies
Slowly becoming a fish addict! I need more tanks!
BenMoffat

Postby noddy » Mon May 23, 2016 11:33 am

I loved my "lemon yellow" Raleigh Chopper. I wasn't allowed to bring it when we moved to Canada though.
noddy

Postby LeeAberdeen » Mon May 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Didn't realise they had the Raleigh Chopper over there. Was my first bike, that, and the ridiculous gearstick will live forever in the memory. Not convinced it went any quicker in third than it did in first.
150g - Mixed all-male - Protomelas Steveni 'Taiwan Reef', Jacobfreibergi Eureka, OB Fire, Aulonocara Sunset, Fryeri Blue Ice, Chromobotia Macracanthus
LeeAberdeen

Postby noddy » Tue May 24, 2016 8:05 pm

LeeAberdeen wrote:Didn't realise they had the Raleigh Chopper over there. Was my first bike, that, and the ridiculous gearstick will live forever in the memory. Not convinced it went any quicker in third than it did in first.

No mate. I grew up in Manchester (The Blue side), moved over here when I was 15 (Without my chopper) : (
noddy

Postby JimA » Mon May 30, 2016 12:14 pm

I had to look up what a Raleigh chopper was. I had something similar growing up made by Schwinn. I loved that bike, wish I still had it as they can go for big bucks now days. Not sure I would sell it though!

http://schwinncruisers.com/bikes/krates/
The only difficult day was yesterday.
JimA

Postby LeeAberdeen » Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Wow, didn't realise they went for that much... The British version, which is very similar, cost about £30 back in the early-80s.
LeeAberdeen

Postby JimA » Tue May 31, 2016 9:38 pm

This is the version I had less the tassels, don't know if they will get that price but dang.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Stingra ... SwsN9XCr7U
The only difficult day was yesterday.
JimA

Postby #AquaBoss » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:37 pm

I did a week ago, when I went to buy my friend 2 zebra danios (his first fish) at a local fish store. Everything seemed fine and I bought the fish. on the back, I realized both fish were missing their eyeballs. Yeah, EYEBALLS! I went back to the store, where I tried to show the staff the evident problem. First, the employee told me it was normal in danios to be eyeless, until I finally settled that point with him, and when I asked to get the fish replaced he refused and it took a good ten minutes to get it my way. So i got new fish (that had eyes). All that for miserable zebra danios. :roll:
#AquaBoss

Postby Ram-Finatic » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:44 am

Got into argument (or rather a heated discussion/debate) with a senior chain store employee over betta fish care. I was buying some accessories for my ball/royal pythons at the time, when I overheard the employee giving a couple (new to the hobby), absolute garbage facts about caring for their new purchase. Long story short, he made a fool of himself in front a new employee that he was training. Luckily I was able to catch the couple on their way out and let them know the pure and utter bull crud they were fed.
Ram-Finatic

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion