General Aquaria Discussion • What's that smell?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

What's that smell?

Postby mlbj1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:19 pm

My house stinks!
After ruling out obvious sources,I realized it is an ambient odor from the room with the most tanks. I discovered my little ten gallon grow tank had the most distinct odor. I changed the carbon in it, but as a rule I maintain all tanks regularly. I do have 8 different tanks. Any suggestions?

LFS suggested the humidity is too high in the house?
mlbj1

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What's that smell?

Postby DJRansome » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Dehumidifier? The water in the tanks smells clean, right?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: What's that smell?

Postby LeeAberdeen » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:26 am

Dying beneficial bacteria causes a smell, but you'd probably know if that was happening from a filter not running or something.

Humidity doesn't have a smell and, unless you're keeping your tanks ridiculously hot, they don't cause humidity anyway. I have a hygrometer in the room with my tanks in, and the humidity's always higher on the other side of the house where there are none. The water's lukewarm at 24-26C so it's nowhere near hot enough to cause it. Also, you said the smell was strongest on a certain tank, whereas humidity would be everywhere. It's yet more nonsense advice from a LFS.

If you've had a biggish water spill on to a carpet or something, that might cause a damp smell? It would be a fusty type of odour, maybe one which could be confused with humidity?
75g - Mixed - Yellow labs, Jalo Reef, Red-Top Hongi, Rubin Red
150g - Mixed all-male - Protomelas Steveni 'Taiwan Reef', Jacobfreibergi Eureka, OB Fire, Aulonocara Sunset, Fryeri Blue Ice, Chromobotia Macracanthus
LeeAberdeen

Return to General Aquaria Discussion