General Aquaria Discussion • Scuds

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Scuds

Postby muffinman10938 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:16 pm

I was thinking of starting a scud culture to feed my African cichlids and was wondering if it was okay to raise them in my sump. I have some open room were the clean water is at the end of my sump but I didn't know if the plant matter to feed the scuds or their waste would foul the water going into the tank. If I couldn't do that, I was thinking of using a trash can outdoors with aeration. If anyone has raised scuds, I could use the advice.
muffinman10938

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Scuds

Postby BillD » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:54 pm

My experience with scuds is that they flourish on thread algae. I used to place algae covered plants into their tank to have them cleaned off; if they finished the algae before I removed the plant, they started on the plant.. I kept mine in a 5 gallon tank with no aeration or filtration. Had them in there for about 5 years until I put some thread algae in there that contained some Rivulus eggs, They hatched and wiped out the scuds.
BillD

Re: Scuds

Postby muffinman10938 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:13 pm

Okay, I think I will just get a five gallon bucket at Home Depot and put some Java moss and hornwort to help with oxygenation and filtration and possibly provide food for them
muffinman10938

Return to General Aquaria Discussion