General Aquaria Discussion • Beginner - First fish tank - New to hobby - Please help!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Beginner - First fish tank - New to hobby - Please help!

Postby cabral_mufc » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 pm

Hello,

About two weeks ago i started up a 60 gallon aquarium. I started using "Aquavitro Seed" about a week and a half ago to "rapidly and safely establish the aquarium biofilter." I followed the instructions and put two cap fulls a day for seven days. (The seventh day was Thursday, Feb. 18.) 2 days later (Saturday, Feb. 20) I did a 20% water change and I added "prime". The next day (Feb.21) I added my first set of fish ( 1m:3f yellow labs) and I also added "Seachem Stress guard", "Seachem Paraguard" , and 2 caps of "Aquavitro Seed". I also sort of gave them too much food.

Today I tested the water using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and the readings were:
Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrite 1.0ppm
Nitrate 5.0ppm

So I did a 20% water change and added "prime" and also a cap of "aquavitro seed".

Can someone please tell me if i'm on the right road to success. Also, If anyone can please give me some advice on how to go on about keeping my fish alive and healthy. I feel really lost and confused. Sorry for being such a noob!

Much appreciated!
cabral_mufc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Beginner - First fish tank - New to hobby - Please help!

Postby DJRansome » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Since the Aquavitro Seed claims to establish the biofilter, I think you need to follow the package directions. Nitrite=1ppm can harm your fish so hopefully the bottle or the manufacturer support team can help you with your dilemma.

Many of us cycle with ammonia and wait up to six weeks to add fish so not sure how to support all these manufacturer claims.

Are you able to bring the fish back to the store until your tank is cycled?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby cabral_mufc » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:57 pm

All LFS here in toronto recommend people to use beneficial bacteria to jump start the bio filter. I followed the instructions on the Aquavitro bottle. It also says that you can add fish at anytime as long you finish putting in the recommended doses for a week. The fish seem happy and active. I'm not sure if i can return the fish. Any advice on a fish in cycle?
cabral_mufc

Postby DJRansome » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:42 pm

We would do daily 50% or larger water change to keep toxins below 1ppm. For nitrite, even 0.5ppm and my fish show distress. (Especially the catfish, gulping at the surface.)

But that would remove the bottle stuff.

I think you are stuck with getting advice from the LFS and/or the manufacturer.

Permanent damage can occur and fish often don't show obvious distress.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion