General Aquaria Discussion • Anyone had or have a saltwater tank?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Anyone had or have a saltwater tank?

Postby Sub-Mariner » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:33 pm

After doing a fishless cycle I recently added some fish to my 40g breeder (36" x 18") this past Monday. Here's some info about my setup;

Tank Parameters
RODI water 0ppm
Ammonia 0 / NitrIte 0 / NitrAte 0-5ppm
IO salt / Salinity 1.025
77°

Filtration / Water Movement
Eheim G160 with a custom 1/2" spraybar / Hydor ETH-200 set to 77° with a RKL controller keeping it within a .5° difference
3x - Koralia Nano 565s

Lighting
36" Current Orbit Marine LED light - White 15% / Actinic 4%

Substrate
2mm Aragonite Sand

List
2x - ORA Picasso Clownfish (1")
Coral Beauty (2")
Purple Firefish (2 1/2")
Green Banded Goby (3/4")
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (1")
4x - Scarlet Hermit Crabs (3/4" - 1")

I don't know if marine fish take weeks to settle in but so far boring is putting it nicely! None are interacting with one another. The pair of clowns just stay in the upper left corner and swim a distance of 3" back and forth ALL day long, they don't explore the rockwork or the tank at all. The Coral Beauty stays in it's large cave and only comes out at feeding time and the Firefish stays in it's small cave and only pops out of it's hole when it's feeding time too. The cleaner shrimp stays in the lower right front corner ALL day long. The only time it moves is to grab some food 2" away and back it goes to its corner. The goby is in hiding, I've only seen him once earlier this morning. The hermit crabs are the only ones really exploring the tank.

I'm feeding the tank frozen mysis shrimp and NLS .5mm Thera A pellets. The Clownfish could care less about any food and for the most part the others pick here and there. Had these been my Peacocks there wouldn't be a morsel of food left anywhere in the tank!!

I know every fish is different and it takes some time for them to feel comfortable but 4 days and ALL are still reclusive!?? All fish appear healthy, no clamped fins / heavy breathing, no damage to their bodies, there's absolutely no aggression what so ever because they don't even interact with one another? There's flow in the tank but nothing over the top like with a coral tank. I've even tried turning the filter and powerheads off for 40mins to see if that made a difference but it didn't. The LED light is running 8hrs a day at 15% so the tank isn't overly bright so I don't know what the deal is? I can see now I was really spoiled with my Peacocks and their awesome personalities and even when introducing a new one to the tank, he was out and about within the day.

Anyone here have or have had a SW tank too? Maybe I have a different expectation of what my stock list actually does. Maybe they take longer to feel comfortable? Based on my stock list am I to assume this is what they will be doing....staying in their caves or staying in corners for years to come? If so I can see myself starting back up my old 75g and doing an all-male tank again very soon!
-75g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
2262 w/ Hydor ETH200 / RKL controller

PREVIOUS TANKS
-55g : Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

-125g : All male Peacock / Hap / Mbuna tank
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH300 / RKL controller
Sub-Mariner

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Anyone had or have a saltwater tank?

Postby RobsFishTank » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:13 pm

It sounds like you have given up already. Just go back.

Every tank is different and it definitely can take a long time for fish to settle in. A lot of saltwater fish are wild caught, so the environment in an aquarium is more than likely nothing like where they were caught. If the tank is in a high traffic area, they may never come out of hiding.
RobsFishTank

Postby Sub-Mariner » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Nope, I haven't given up, it's just they're so boring compared to my old tanks. The tank isn't in a high traffic area so nothing is spooking them. I didn't give it much thought about them being wild caught though, so I agree, I think they need more time to adapt since they're from the ocean...minus the 2 clowns which are ORA breed.

I bought another skunk cleaner shrimp and nassarius and cerith snails the other day and I'm having more fun watching the nassarius snails than I am the fish. I hope they adapt soon because I'm tired of looking at a pile of rocks. :P

PREVIOUS TANKS
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

Sub-Mariner

Postby RobsFishTank » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Give it at least a month. If they are still hiding, it's time to change things up.
RobsFishTank

Postby fishestate » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Any update? The behavior you listed is not uncommon for fish new to a system. Clowns tend to hang out around whatever they're hosting (even if it is a wall), skunks will hang out under rocks unless there is food (trust me, you'll know when it's hungry because it will annoy everything), firefish are/can be cowards and gobies can hide for months at a time (if there's food, they can also starve to death if there are no pods/enough food).

Do you have any live rock? Live rock is unlike anything in freshwater, and is actually the majority of your filtration. It seems that, forgive me if I'm wrong, you're thinking about saltwater a bit wrong. You don't "need" those mechanical filtrations, what you need is a significant amount of live rock. Furthermore, live rock has nearly infinite creatures constantly growing and crawling around and is one of the most fun parts of marine tanks. Hitchhikers can be some of the most exciting/thrilling/challenging thing about salt tanks.

I only ask about the LR because you don't mention it with your filtration- which is where I would expect to see it.

How are things going?
fishestate

Postby RobsFishTank » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:27 pm

fishestate wrote:Furthermore, live rock has nearly infinite creatures constantly growing and crawling around and is one of the most fun parts of marine tanks. Hitchhikers can be some of the most exciting/thrilling/challenging thing about salt tanks.

[sarcasm]Yeah, especially those hitchhiking pistol shrimp.[end sarcasm] The sound they make is not one you want coming from a 75 gallon tank chock full of rock. They can easily kill crustaceans and can break glass. Definitely something you don't want in a reef tank. To top it off, being shrimp, they are very difficult to net. Luckily, they don't get to the home aquarium very often.
RobsFishTank

Postby Sub-Mariner » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:57 pm

fishestate wrote:Any update? The behavior you listed is not uncommon for fish new to a system. Clowns tend to hang out around whatever they're hosting (even if it is a wall), skunks will hang out under rocks unless there is food (trust me, you'll know when it's hungry because it will annoy everything), firefish are/can be cowards and gobies can hide for months at a time (if there's food, they can also starve to death if there are no pods/enough food).

Do you have any live rock? Live rock is unlike anything in freshwater, and is actually the majority of your filtration. It seems that, forgive me if I'm wrong, you're thinking about saltwater a bit wrong. You don't "need" those mechanical filtrations, what you need is a significant amount of live rock. Furthermore, live rock has nearly infinite creatures constantly growing and crawling around and is one of the most fun parts of marine tanks. Hitchhikers can be some of the most exciting/thrilling/challenging thing about salt tanks.

I only ask about the LR because you don't mention it with your filtration- which is where I would expect to see it.

How are things going?

I woke up with my hermits eating the goby and the firefish just died one morning, no injuries or disease etc. He never came out of his cave and I never saw him eat either. Thankfully I had a 14 day guarantee so I got my money back on both of those fish. I ended up selling the coral beauty and sold the picasso clowns for more than I paid. I kept the crabs, snails and hermits though and got some new fish below last week.

Yellow coris wrasse (1 1/2")
McCosker's flasher wrasse ( 1 1/2")
Royal Gramma (2")
Yellow tail damsel (1 1/4")

The new fish ALL ate within minutes in the tank. I've been feeding them NLS .5mm pellets, mysis, enriched brine and marine cuisine 3 times a day and they all scarf it up and the best part is not one has hidden yet!? I couldn't believe it. They've all been swimming around together ever since and my two wrasses have already became buds. They're constantly swimming together exploring all of the rocks. The McCosker's has dug out a little tunnel in front of his cave to sleep in and the yellow coris wrasse buries himself in the sand when he sleeps and he's sleeping right in front of his den. It's probably one of the coolest fish I've seen. As soon as the white lights turn off the actinics turn on for 2hrs. of moonlight the yellow coris goes right to his spot, circles just like a dog and poof, he shimmies into the sand and he's gone. He's a late sleeper too, he usually wakes up 2hrs. after the lights come on in the morning. These fish are SO much more active it's like a night and day difference between the others. I'm so happy with these fish.

Regarding rock filtration, I have 45lbs. of dry rock that I seeded VIA a fishless cycle. I didn't want to go with live rock because I want to know what is / isn't in my tank. As far as mechanical filtration I don't have a sump so I needed something to remove debris or else it'll be floating around all the time. I know most say don't use it because of NitrAtes but I don't see anything wrong with it, especially since this is a fish only tank and not a reef tank. So far my NitrAtes haven't gone over 5ppm and I haven't cleaned it yet. I'm going to go a month without cleaning it and see how much if any my NitrAtes go up and I'll adjust my canister cleaning schedule by that. The Eheim G160 is SUPER easy to clean so cleaning it weekly if need be won't be a problem at all.

PREVIOUS TANKS
FX5 w/ Hydor ETH200

Sub-Mariner

Postby RobsFishTank » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Ya know, your situation is similar to what I went through when I did my most recent cycle which was my first fishless one. I did lots of reading before attempting it and decided that the wait was worth it. While it is a great way to take care of the Nitrogen cycle, IMHO, a fish only tank won't be fully established for quite some time and sensitive fish should be avoided initially. I lost all of the sensitive fish I bought thinking my tank was "ready" to be fully stocked. Most saltwater fish fall into the category of being sensitive and the loss of some initial stockings should be expected. It's great the new guys settled in nicely.
RobsFishTank

Return to General Aquaria Discussion