General Aquaria Discussion • Cultivating Blackworms?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Cultivating Blackworms?

Postby cobra34m80 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:38 pm

I've recently begun attempting to cultivate blackworms. It is getting really cloudy and I can't seem to be able to control it. Granted, the tank is next to a big window. (could that be the problem?) I do a 25% change every two to three days, have a 10i bubble filter and it's a 10 gal tank with a 6" airstone. I feed tetracolor fish food. any recommendations? should I have a different setup? should I take away from window? not many are dying but I don't want any to die lol

Thanks for any response!
cobra34m80

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Cultivating Blackworms?

Postby Aaron S » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:31 pm

I don't know anything about blackworms but I would strongly recommend moving the tank away from the window if you can. You will grow algae if you do not because you are unable to control the amount of light to the tank.
Aaron S

Postby Narwhal72 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:32 pm

Also you want cold water for them. Near a window it will warm up.

Blackworms are cultured in raceways and ponds often as a side business to trout farms. They like cold water just like trout do.

While blackworms will live in aquariums I have never heard of anyone actually being able to cultivate a regular supply of them.
Narwhal72

Postby cobra34m80 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:30 pm

thank you guys! I'll be changing some things. I've learned a little more about them. I can't give you the link narwhal72 but i've definitely seen it done, but on a different setup. i'm just trying something different and minimalistic. thank you!
cobra34m80

Return to General Aquaria Discussion