General Aquaria Discussion • Gold nugget Pleco

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Gold nugget Pleco

Postby omac84 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:35 pm

So I will be picking up a Golden nugget pleco L81 today, Is there any tips for keeping this fish?
Would I just treat him like a regular common pleco?
I heard that they are very susceptical to medication.... anyone know if this is true?
any perticular diets?
Thanks
omac84

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Gold nugget Pleco

Postby sumthinfishy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:58 pm

I have a few that i have had for a couple yrs. i keep mine in a planted tank with real driftwood. They enjoy nibbling plants and driftwood. I keep ph at mid to low 6s. I also keep them in a tank with heavy filtration and flow since they like clean water like in the river. I feed fresh veg, shrimp pellets, and a mix of kens foods that contain spirulina and proteins. I rotate between these foods. The gold nuggets will be out constantly and look vibrant when the are comfortable and happy. However if they are never out its usually an indication of unhappy or unhealthy. As with a lot of the less common plecos it does take a considerable amount of time for them to be comfortable enough to come out on a regular basis even when they are healthy and happy. I have a lot of different L-series plecos and people have said that the gold nuggets tend to be tougher to keep than a lot of others. I don't find that to be true. They do require special needs as do any of the more rare plecos. Hope this helps.
240 CA tank
125 SA tank
125 planted tank
125 tanganyikan tank
125 mixed african
(2) 75 growouts
(2) 33 longs with multiple L series plecos
35 breeder planted shrimp and juli cat
....and a few others
sumthinfishy

Postby omac84 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:03 pm

That does help thank you:)
You said you keep yours in a mid to low ph and have driftwood. My plan was to put him in my cichlid show tank which has no driftwood and more on the mid-high ph 7.8ish. I have seen other local cichlid fanatics have golden nuggets in there tank with no health issues. What are your thoughts on this?
My only other option would be to put him in with my freshwater puffer whih has a lower ph and i could buy a small peice of driftwood for him, BUT i dont know if puffers and plecos work together....my guess would be that would be a terrible idea.
omac84

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:26 pm

We get a lot of posts here about Africans killing plecos. The best results seem to be with bristlenose, but even those sometimes don't always survive initial introduction to the tank. On the other hand, once the bristlenose survive a month in the tank with Africans, they seem to be fine forever.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sumthinfishy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:30 pm

I would not put a gold nugget with africans.
240 CA tank
125 SA tank
125 planted tank
125 tanganyikan tank
125 mixed african
(2) 75 growouts
....and a few others
sumthinfishy

Postby omac84 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:51 pm

I am going to see how he does in the african tank, if all fails and he isnt doing well i have another cycled tank for him to go in:)
omac84

Postby Narwhal72 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:32 pm

I would not recommend gold nuggets with Africans either.

Gold nuggets are not easy plecos to keep. They are slow growing and are extremely long lived in the wild. But most barely survive more than 6 months in captivity.

All Gold Nuggets are wild caught. When they are exported they are treated with medications that wipe out the beneficial bacterial fauna in their digestive tract. Because of this, even though they eat, they slowly waste away and die a slow death. I would recommend the following to give you the best chance of success.

1. Keep a BN pleco in the tank with the new gold nugget. The BN already has an established flora of gut bacteria. The GN will acquire this bacteria by consuming the feces of the BN.
2. Provide some driftwood for them to gnaw on. Mine readily eat wood as part of their diet. Feed lots of plant based food. I feed Repashy Morning wood as well as Spawn N Grow and other varieties on a regular basis. Along with algae wafers and veggies like cucumber or zucchini.
3. Provide caves for them to hide. They are secretive and like to hide. A pile of round pebbles (big ones (6-10" in diameter) with a few caves mixed in will work fine to provide them cover as well an algae film for them to graze.

I have kept my 3 since July 2010 and they are doing very well. I keep them with South American cichlids and my pH hovers slightly above 7. However, my water is extremely soft which these fish really appreciate and very different from what is best for an African tank.

Andy
Narwhal72

Postby omac84 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:12 pm

I will keep you guys updated with his progress.
omac84

Postby sumthinfishy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:42 pm

Well hopefully you don't have a lot of rock work in your African tank. If you do, you can plan on taking it all out to find the dead body of your gold nugget in the next few days. I hope this is not the case but based on my experience with the gold nuggets this is what you have to look forward to if you put it in with the Africans. I hope I'm wrong.
240 CA tank
125 SA tank
125 planted tank
125 tanganyikan tank
125 mixed african
(2) 75 growouts
....and a few others
sumthinfishy

Postby omac84 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:31 pm

my aquarium is quite bare for the open swimming for the Africans, so far 3 hours in and he looks pretty happy. Africans are just ignoring it completely
omac84

Postby sumthinfishy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:50 pm

Just out of curiosity, what size tank is it and what do u have for africans?
240 CA tank
125 SA tank
125 planted tank
125 tanganyikan tank
125 mixed african
(2) 75 growouts
....and a few others
sumthinfishy

Postby omac84 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Its a 130 gallon
Lwanda, sunshine, dragon blood, strawberry, bi-color 500, sulphur head, german red, red jake, otter point jake, flametail, ethelwoneye
omac84

Postby sumthinfishy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:32 pm

OK. The peacocks will probably leave it alone because they will inhabit the upper levels of the water column whereas the Pleco will stay on the bottom. Plus the size of the tank is definitely good. However, I think that the water parameters and lack of food will eventually lead to an unhealthy gold nugget. I say lack of food because the Africans can be very vivacious eaters. You will need to take special measures to make sure that the Golden Nugget is getting enough. I hope it works out for you because the gold nuggets are definitely a beautiful fish. Keep us posted.
240 CA tank
125 SA tank
125 planted tank
125 tanganyikan tank
125 mixed african
(2) 75 growouts
....and a few others
sumthinfishy

Postby omac84 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:18 pm

I bought some driftwood for him, not big enough to harm the PH of the tank, and he has hiding holes which I think I will feed him the veggies and algea wafers he needs so the cichlids don't get to it too much.
When I can get a clear picture of him I will post it to this thread for you all.
omac84

Postby omac84 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:15 am

finally got a good pic of the little guy:)
omac84

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion