General Aquaria Discussion • Military move with aquariums

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Military move with aquariums

Postby omac84 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:37 pm

So, In my job description i am posted every 5 years or so.
I am curious to find a way to bring my fish with me over a 5-10 day road trip. I have ideas of fish in coolers with bubblers and submergible filters etc... I will have quite a few fish...but i am open to hear other peoples ideas.
omac84

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Military move with aquariums

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:47 pm

You can do like people who show fish at conventions. Travel with them in containers (not necessarily coolers) and hook up filters/heaters each night in the hotel. Heated car only...no restaurant stops until they are set up in the hotel room.

Or you can bag/ship them overnight to new location. Then someone would either have to hold/ship for you the day before you arrive, or someone would have to receive and unbag them for you at the destination into prepared tanks.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby smitty » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Also stop feeding them 2 days before the move so they will not create waste that will foul up your water.
150gal- Dovi; 3 AC 110 P. Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maclcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC 110 P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5
smitty

Postby omac84 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Those are good replies thank you
does anyone else have any different ideas?
omac84

Postby fmueller » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:00 am

Folks might have all kinds of ideas, but the way DJRansome says is the way to do it. There are folks doing this all the time - people going to fish conventions with their show fish and stock they buy and sell. Might as well learn from them!

Oh, and regarding the advice of heated cars/no restaurant stops in winter, that advice needs to be taken seriously! Guess how I know :oops:

Last but not least, this works well for domestic transfers, and maybe even when going from the US to Canada. But once you move between continents, you need to sell the fish and start over on the other end. I've done it several times, and eventually gave up on fish for some years. I don't have any right now, because I moved from the US to NZ a little over a year ago, and have not gotten around yet to set something up.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby docnic » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Omac84-- have you looked into whether the military would pay to ship the fish? I'm moving cross country in June and will be in the same boat. I'd rather not give them away, but I'm sure a cross country drive will not bode well for them. I'm going to look into shipping prices, but it just occurred to me that the military might cover it. I'm sure it's not a question they're asked often, and my local PSD is terrible (from what I hear).

On a side note, I think I'm coming out your way- Bremerton.
docnic

Postby Fish Jerk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:55 pm

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Inverter-C ... apter+plug

Get something like this to hook up a bubbler. Don't worry about the filter, just don't feed them. You won't be able to plug in a heater to it through or it will drain your battery.
Fish Jerk

Postby dledinger » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:05 pm

This is the kind of thing you should think about before you buy the fish ;)

Yes - absolutely possible to take them with you.
125 Gallon Mbuna
60 Gallon Tropheus Duboisi
65 Gallon Amazon
Too many little tanks to count
dledinger

Return to General Aquaria Discussion