General Aquaria Discussion • Growth rate versus time

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Growth rate versus time

Postby hoghead32 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:39 pm

After stocking Lake Malawi cichlids.with an average size of 2.5",what is the time needed to become adults....understand variables exist with feeding etc. I visited a LFS and asked the owner if he ever got into keeping Cichlids,he said no,when I asked why he said they took to long to grow...
hoghead32

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Growth rate versus time

Postby DJRansome » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:33 pm

If you define adults as spawning you are about there depending on the species. Yellow labs as an example of an average mbuna is 1.5" at six months and producing fry.

If you define adults as maximum size, they continue to grow throughout their lifetime so it could take from 1-8 years.

Large haps take longer. Maybe he was keeping calvus, LOL.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Growth rate versus time

Postby hoghead32 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:27 pm

I had decided at the last minute to go with Cichlids on a new tank I was cycling instead of expanding my Discus hobby. We have a dealer who specializes in Cichlids only and has a couple of large display tanks displaying grown Cichlids....so it was an easy choice to pick the fish I wanted in my tank from his display and large stock of 2 to 3" juveniles....other dealer I mentioned on earlier post complained about my buying so many fish from other shop but he only had a few cichlids and no display for a novice to pick from and get excited about the cichlid hobby which is a handful to take in for a beginner starting out.
hoghead32

Return to General Aquaria Discussion