General Aquaria Discussion • Noob With Spawning Polleni Cichlid

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Noob With Spawning Polleni Cichlid

Postby Mattyj45 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi,

I am new to this site (just signed up) as well as keeping Cichlids. I have a question and I am hoping someone can offer some advice. I have two Paratilapia Polleni who recently spent time digging a nice area for spawning in my tank. The female laid a ton of eggs and it looked as though the male did his thing as well. The eggs were laid last night around 6PM. The female spent time fanning them and keeping others away as did the male. The eggs were all still there this morning. When I got home from work almost all the eggs were gone and I could see the female going in and scooping them up with her mouth. I thought great maybe they are mouth brooders, although from what little info I can find on the species, it seems they are substrate spawners. I saw her open up her mouth really wide looking straight at me at the front of the tank and I saw nothing in there. Did she eat all those eggs? Did the male fail to fertilize them and that's why she ate them? I have to admit I am disappointed as I was looking forward to raising some fry for the first time. I should also mention she ate when I put food in the tank this evening which seemed like a sign that she wasn't holding eggs as I have heard the females rarely eat when they are holding.

If anyone could offer some advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Mattyj45

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Noob With Spawning Polleni Cichlid

Postby Deeda » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Welcome to C-F!!

If this was their 1st spawn it's common to eat the eggs and it happens with lots of cichlids. Maybe next time they'll get it right.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Return to General Aquaria Discussion