General Aquaria Discussion • Bristlenose pleco odd spawn?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Bristlenose pleco odd spawn?

Postby Samadhikash » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:32 pm

I have a trio of albino bn in a 20long. Got them as juveniles about a year ago and have been patiently waiting for them to mature and spawn. At feeding time this evening I noticed there were eggs at the mouth of the pvc tube (about 6" long, capped at one end). There was a glob of say 20 of them--half in the tube and half out. The way things are situated I have no idea if there are others deeper in the tube. I've checked back a few times and almost all of them except for a few are now inside the tube. The male is dutifully fanning at the entrance.

I was not expecting to see eggs at the mouth of the tube like this. It's laying perfectly flat on the bottom of the tank and I would think plenty deep enough for them to spawn further in the tube. Is this just a clumsy first spawn, should I raise the front of the tube, make one that's longer, does it even matter?

The only other thing I have in the tank is a small colony of red cherry shrimp (~30) so I'm not really concerned about the safety of the eggs, but I would like to do what I can to maximize the results of their efforts. Any thoughts one way or the other?
Samadhikash

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Bristlenose pleco odd spawn?

Postby DJRansome » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:08 pm

My BN eggs were scattered all over the tank...I assumed the cichlid fry also in the tank disturbed them. I had 20 survivors so I wouldn't do anything.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Samadhikash » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks for sharing that. Since posting, the "glob" broke in half and both halves are outside the tube. The male has abandoned his watch. Letting things take their own course for the time being, but water changes happen tomorrow and I haven't been able to promise myself I won't syphon out any eggs. :)

I've also learned that some bn males are less than stellar models for the species. Even after multiple attempts. Since this was the first spawn for both the male and the female I'm chalking it up mostly to youth and inexperience. Not going to stress on his behavior unless it becomes a trend. I think I will raise the front of the tube a bit though.

It must have been a rather raucous affair as a couple of the female's fins got pretty beat up. Having finally gotten a good look at her, I'm kinda surprised there were eggs anywhere near the tube at all.
Samadhikash

Postby Samadhikash » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:18 pm

In this case at least, it seems that all is well that ends well. I left all the eggs in the tank. Now have ~25 wrigglers. Hoping they'll keep 'em all in the breeding cave next time, but glad to see that it's not a fertility issue.
Samadhikash

Postby DJRansome » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Congrats!
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion