General Aquaria Discussion • Takashi Amano passed away

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Takashi Amano passed away

Postby fmueller » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:19 am

I just heard that Takashi Amano passed away on 4 August. Arguably he was the most influential man affecting change in the aquarium hobby over the last few decades. I was always hoping to meet him one day at a fish convention, and maybe hear him talk. Unfortunately I have missed that opportunity.

Amano spearheaded the use of CO2 in fish tanks to boost plant growth and introduced shrimp (Caridina multidentata; previously Caridina japonica) to the fresh water hobby to control algae. Without his ideas, the concept of modern high tech planted tanks is difficult to envisage. In addition, only after the introduction of these shrimp, now widely known as Amano shrimp, we have seen a huge interest in other freshwater shrimp develop, whose keeping and breeding has developed into an entire new branch of the aquarium hobby.

Amano marketed his planted tank accessories through his own company ADA. He was a prolific writer for a range of international aquarium magazines. He was also an accomplished large format photographer, and this is evident in his series of high quality photo books on aquascaping entitled "Nature Aquarium".

Amano was only 61 when he passed away. He will be sorely missed. While he might not have been your typical cichlid guy, here he is feeding his gorgeous altum angels:

fmueller
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Takashi Amano passed away

Postby nodima » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:03 am

Really big loss for the aquarium hobby - his tanks were/are an inspiration for so many.

Amazing to see the scale of the tank in your linked video - it looks big, then as he is in the picture, you see just how big it is.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby DJRansome » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Horrible. His tanks were artwork!
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby klimarov » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:25 pm

that's an amazing fish tank! too bad i found out about the guy when he already passed.
klimarov

Postby Als49 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:33 am

RIP Takashi Amano.

I just saw his works in Sumida Aquarium last July, and can't believe he just passed away.
MantraAQUASCAPE.com

Planted Tanks
95G Discus, Geo
58G N. Brichardi | Neon Jewel | Tropheus
52G Gold Occie | Demasoni, Leleupi, Julie
40B Multi, Julie, Comps
Als49

Return to General Aquaria Discussion