General Aquaria Discussion • UV Sterilizer for Brown Diatoms

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

UV Sterilizer for Brown Diatoms

Postby 207cichlids » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:52 am

Anyone know if i'll have luck curimg brown algae with a Mean Green Machine 9w? Its in a 29 gallon with a mild outbreak
207cichlids

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: UV Sterilizer for Brown Diatoms

Postby DowntownBrown » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:06 am

Hey, thought I'd add my recent experience. I've had a big brown algae outbreak in my 240 G for a couple months. Recently I added some Purigen into my sump, and it seems to have cleaned it right up. Could be coincidence and the algae bloom was already coming to a stop, but the Purigen sure turned brown fast. It seems to have done the trick! Research it a bit, see what you can find. Good luck and happy scrubbing
DowntownBrown

Postby 207cichlids » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:22 pm

DowntownBrown wrote:Hey, thought I'd add my recent experience. I've had a big brown algae outbreak in my 240 G for a couple months. Recently I added some Purigen into my sump, and it seems to have cleaned it right up. Could be coincidence and the algae bloom was already coming to a stop, but the Purigen sure turned brown fast. It seems to have done the trick! Research it a bit, see what you can find. Good luck and happy scrubbing

Thanks. Appreciate it,
and research I will....and scrub too lol
207cichlids

Postby Als49 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:11 am

Brown algae diatom is usually caused by excess silica. When I used silica sands for my substrate, I always had problem with brown algae. They kept reappearing although they were regularly brushed and siphoned.

After I replaced silica sands with other sands, I no longer have brown algae in my tanks.
MantraAQUASCAPE.com

Planted Tanks
95G Discus, Geo
58G N. Brichardi | Neon Jewel | Tropheus
52G Gold Occie | Demasoni, Leleupi, Julie
40B Multi, Julie, Comps
Als49

Postby 207cichlids » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:53 pm

Als49 wrote:Brown algae diatom is usually caused by excess silica. When I used silica sands for my substrate, I always had problem with brown algae. They kept reappearing although they were regularly brushed and siphoned.

After I replaced silica sands with other sands, I no longer have brown algae in my tanks.

I use pool filter sand. Could this be what you mean
207cichlids

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Yes. But I use PFS as well and the brown "algae" eventually goes away. It's not really algae, but diatoms. IDK if UV will be effective.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby 207cichlids » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:10 pm

DJRansome wrote:Yes. But I use PFS as well and the brown "algae" eventually goes away. It's not really algae, but diatoms. IDK if UV will be effective.

Appreciate it thanks
207cichlids

Return to General Aquaria Discussion