General Aquaria Discussion • Another 75g Stocking Question - Sorry

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Another 75g Stocking Question - Sorry

Postby longshot001 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Hello All,

I am resetting up my 72G after a few years off to raise a real baby. She has really taken a liking to her 5 gallon betta tank so I would like to restart my 72 gallon bow front. In the past I have had several setups ranging from standard Angel/Ram/Tetra tank to a single oscar tank. My wife really like the personality of the oscar but I have convinced her to let me try a CA/SA community tank. I want to make sure all the fish are happy and I do not make a mistake that will make them suffer for the rest of the time in the tank. Would this be ok for stocking?

Tank (LxDxH): 48 x 16 x 22 inch (73.1gUS)
Filters: Eheim 2213, Eheim 2215

1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
1 x Firemouth (Thorichthys meeki)
1 x Blue Acara (Aequidens pulcher)
1 x Severum (Heros efascticious)
5 x Rainbow Cichlid (Archocentrus multispinosus)

Substrate will be sand blasting sand (course grain)
Tank will be low tech planted, with a lot of Java Fern attached to drift wood

I've never had fish breed before so I was hoping there would be a chance with the rainbow's. My wife's only requirement for setting up a community tank was "I want to be able to name them and not just look at a bunch of fish". If you have any suggestions or advice please advise, everyone here has a lot more experience with this type of community tank then I do.

Thank you for your time
longshot001

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Another 75g Stocking Question - Sorry

Postby Fishnut71 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Your stock sounds absolutely fine. Could even add another sev, depending on the temperament of the 2 sev together.
Fishnut71

Postby The Dude315 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:32 pm

I think it would be fine as long as you have some sight breaks
The Dude315

Postby longshot001 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks. Was worried I was taking on trouble with the smaller rainbows with the larger fish. Should I be worried with the rainbows of possibly having 2 pair? Should I drop down to 3 rainbows taking the chance that they are all one sex? Or will the rainbows trying to act tough mean nothing to the larger fish?
longshot001

Return to General Aquaria Discussion