General Aquaria Discussion • Bad Tap Water

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Bad Tap Water

Postby Liz777 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi,

I'm here in Texas and this past week our house flooded. My area has been declared a disaster. My test kits expired so I took my water to the LFS and it showed ammonia and nitrates but no nitrites. Can that be right?

Thank You, Liz
Liz777

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Bad Tap Water

Postby Liz777 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:56 pm

Sorry, made a mistake. It was water out of the tap, not out of my fish tanks.

Liz777 wrote:Hi,

I'm here in Texas and this past week our house flooded. My area has been declared a disaster. My test kits expired so I took my water to the LFS and it showed ammonia and nitrates but no nitrites. Can that be right?

Thank You, Liz
Liz777

Postby GTZ » Sun May 31, 2015 8:30 pm

The ammonia reading can be explained if your water is treated with chloramine (chlorine and ammonia). Usually the ammonia is consumed by the ammonia oxidizing bacteria shortly after a water change. Most often the ammonia is in a non toxic form when treated with Prime or other detoxifying products during the water change.
Nitrate is sometimes detectable in tap water. The legal limit in the US set by the EPA is 10ppm.
75G Tropheus sp. 'red' (Moliro)
55G Enantiopus sp. 'Kilesa'
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ

Postby Liz777 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:48 pm

So I should be ok cleaning my tanks, right?

GTZ wrote:The ammonia reading can be explained if your water is treated with chloramine (chlorine and ammonia). Usually the ammonia is consumed by the ammonia oxidizing bacteria shortly after a water change. Most often the ammonia is in a non toxic form when treated with Prime or other detoxifying products during the water change.
Nitrate is sometimes detectable in tap water. The legal limit in the US set by the EPA is 10ppm.
Liz777

Postby Deeda » Sun May 31, 2015 9:53 pm

What were the readings for your tap water?

Since your area has experienced flooding, your local water authority may add more disinfectant to your tap water supply to compensate for any possible contamination, usually in the form of chlorine or chloramine. Just be sure to add your water conditioner in the proper amount to compensate for elevated levels.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Liz777 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:04 pm

The ammonia is between .50 & 1.0
Nitrate a little darker than 5.0
Nitrite 0

I was thinking that they're probably treating the water more heavily.

I had started removing the play sand from the Brichardi tank to replace with black sand and I'd like to finish that. I also need to clean the 75gal.

Thank you very much Dee.

Deeda wrote:What were the readings for your tap water?

Since your area has experienced flooding, your local water authority may add more disinfectant to your tap water supply to compensate for any possible contamination, usually in the form of chlorine or chloramine. Just be sure to add your water conditioner in the proper amount to compensate for elevated levels.
Liz777

Postby Fishnut71 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 am

If you're using Seachem Prime, it should help with, at least some amount, of the ammonia and nitrite. You could also cut way back on feeding until the public water situation is back to normal.
Fishnut71

Postby Liz777 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Thank you for the advice, that's what I'll do.

Fishnut71 wrote:If you're using Seachem Prime, it should help with, at least some amount, of the ammonia and nitrite. You could also cut way back on feeding until the public water situation is back to normal.
Liz777

Return to General Aquaria Discussion