General Aquaria Discussion • introducing a new Blood parrot to old blood parrot

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

introducing a new Blood parrot to old blood parrot

Postby mtw1221 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:03 am

Hey all,

I have had a blood parrot for at least a year. Originally she was in my 20 gallon tank for most of the year. Skiddish but never bothered or ate any other fish aside from occasional harassment if they came in her cave. a couple months ago I put her in my new cycled 60 gallon and she was still the only BPC. I got some discus recently and she was interested in them and wanted to be near them but was definitely not harassing them in any way. ( also I have no idea if she is a he or she, but she is named stella so i call her she) Anyway, this made me feel she was lonely so i got her a friend. This BPC is slightly smaller, but not so small that she can't force her way through anything he can get into. (again not sure of his gender either). She has been harassing him non-stop since he was introduced, A few hours at least. i tried to provide areas he could hid in that she can't but the sizes are too similar and he won't really go far enough in the more funnel hideout. Is this just normal blood parrot intro and eventually they will calm down, or will the harassment likely continue? I like the little one and don't want to return him but I don't want him to be miserable.
mtw1221

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: introducing a new Blood parrot to old blood parrot

Postby mtw1221 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:11 pm

update: the big one is still attacking the little one. rearranged the tank, made it like all caves, no improvement. decided to move the little one to my planted tank until i can get a new tank for it. if any one has suggestions on how to better introduce them i would be very appreciative.
mtw1221

Re: introducing a new Blood parrot to old blood parrot

Postby DJRansome » Fri May 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Usually you introduce a bunch of fish at once so no one individual get's singled out for aggression.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion