General Aquaria Discussion • Help please!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Help please!

Postby Jstack » Sat May 23, 2015 11:33 pm

3.5 gal tank
couple of shells and small plastic plants

albino tiger oscar cichlid 1"
Jack dempsey cichlid 1"
blue agara cichlid 1"
mystery snail

so i had my tank cycle done around may first and i got myself a oscar. he was timid the first few days as could be expected then around the seventh he began swimming up and down happily. about a week after i introduced the jack dempsy and the blue agara into the tank and all seemed well for a few hours. now it seems that they are all just laying down at the bottom of the tank and hiding from me. i did a 33% water change as my levels were a little high. but they are still hiding at the bottom moving very slowly. i'm beginning to get a little worried that they are sick. does anybody know what this means?
--John
Jstack

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Help please!

Postby notho2000 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:27 am

Even though your fish are small, you should provide them with a larger tank. It's very difficult to maintain a stable set of conditions with such a small volume of water. I would get a 20G tank minimum for the time being. Oscars in particular can be heavy feeders and the waste products from the fish will overwhelm your biological filtration very easily.
notho2000

Return to General Aquaria Discussion