General Aquaria Discussion • Tankmate for a Bichir, Firemouth and Blue Acara... 75 gallon

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Tankmate for a Bichir, Firemouth and Blue Acara... 75 gallon

Postby stalefish83 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm looking for a centerpiece fish, hopefully mid to top dwelling, to go with a Dinosaur Eel (Senagul Bichir), Firemouth and a Blue Acara. The tank is 48" x 18". Tons of filtration (3 large canisters).

Hoping for a single, largish fish that will 1) be able to hold it's own against a FM. 2) not get eaten by a Bicher, 3) look good whilst doing it, and 4) not eat or uproot my plants

Going oddball, so doesn't have to be a cichlid

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
75g CA Cichlid tank
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=316993
stalefish83

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tankmate for a Bichir, Firemouth and Blue Acara... 75 ga

Postby stalefish83 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Any thoughts on getting a large angelfish? An LFS in town has a few of what appear to be full grown angels. I was also considering an African Butterfly Fish. I do have live plants, and lots of broad floating leaves. Any thoughts on this combo, or any other suggestions?
75g CA Cichlid tank
stalefish83

Postby TripleW » Thu May 21, 2015 9:54 am

Hi stalefish!
I don't know much about Angel fish, but I don't think that I would go with an Angel fish with your present combination. I think that if it was my tank I would maybe go with a school of Silver Dollars or Bleeding Heart Tetras.... I know that this isn't really a Larger Fish, but these fish would fill up the Mid to top end of the water column and provide movement and a bunch of color in your tank.
TripleW

Postby stalefish83 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks for the reply, TripleW! In trying to find common aquatic "ground" with my wife, I did end up buying a large angelfish (at least 5 inches long). I introduced the angel with the Firemouth and my Blue Acara and neither of them were fond of their new tankmate. I'd hoped getting an angel that was quite a bit larger than the other two would discourage aggression... but no.

I have since removed my FM and BA and will be finding them new homes, so I'm starting now with an angelfish and a bicher. Considering going discus, but I would want to get 5 to make sure the angel didn't single one out to bully (if he was so inclined) and that's going to be $365.00! That's a lot of money to spend on something that I'm not fully dedicating an entire tank to.

So I'm still on the hunt for more tankmates
75g CA Cichlid tank
stalefish83

Postby TripleW » Fri May 22, 2015 3:56 pm

Well keep at it, I am sure that you will find a combination that will work!
TripleW

Return to General Aquaria Discussion