General Aquaria Discussion • Hello I'm new here

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Hello I'm new here

Postby skinnyfish » Sat May 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Hello, I'm new here. I've been reading the forums for a while and finally registered. I have a 90Gal CA/SA style tank, with driftwood and loads of fake plants. The tank is stocked with 4 Firemouth, 1 Red-spot Severum, 2 Silver dollar, a pleco, and (here's where it gets a bit weird) 4 Swordtails and 4 Cardinal Tetras. All the bigger species are juveniles. I have no issues with the swords and cardinals being bullied. For the most part the cichlids completely ignore them.

This past week 2 FM seemed to pair off, chose a spot that naturally I couldn't see, and got very protective of that spot. The only aggro I witnessed was directed mainly at one of the other 2 FM (another male maybe?) and also the SD's as they just wouldn't leave the pair alone. The SD's have a history of stealing food from the pleco, I think they were trying to get to the eggs. Today everything is back to normal, FM's out in the open again, and the SD's are a bit banged up, but nothing serious. No sign of eggs or fry, and the spawning behaviour has ended for now. Hopefully they try again in a month or so. Once I have a stable pair I will probably rehome the other 2 to avoid further conflict, but I'm stumped by the SD's behaviour.
skinnyfish

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Hello I'm new here

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 09, 2015 12:37 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum! Can't help with New World behavior, but other Members will reply soon.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby aquawoman101 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:43 am

Hi skinnyfish! I'm also new here :) As for the behavior...who can really tell?
aquawoman101

Postby skinnyfish » Mon May 11, 2015 11:18 am

True, theres exceptions to every rule in fish behaviour. The FM's behaviour was exactly what I was expecting. I've never kept SD's before but I was under the impression they are mainly herbivore, fairly timid if not in a group, and so on. I'm not so much suprised that the SD's would eat the eggs, (most fish will) but I am suprised by the fact that they were relentless in their attempts, even though the FM's were aggressively defending the nest. My fish are well fed on a variety of foods so hunger is not a factor. I guess I will wait and see what happens next time theres a spawning attempt. I need to get my backup tank running just in case ...
skinnyfish

Postby TripleW » Tue May 12, 2015 2:30 pm

I think that even though a majority of a species of fish are supposed to have a certain behavior it seems as though most of them have individual behavior as well. The SD may have simply thought the eggs looked to delicious to pass up and went for it.

Congrats on the Spawn none the less!
TripleW

Return to General Aquaria Discussion