General Aquaria Discussion • pH problem

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

pH problem

Postby LeeAberdeen » Wed May 06, 2015 3:26 pm

Not sure if this is related to the post below about water maintenance work, but just tested my pH out of the tap (right) and out of the tank (left) and can't understand the marked difference in the results? Anyone else experienced this?

I used to have a Seneye on it so I could monitor it all the time but, because it was always the same, about 7.2 or 7.3 like the one on the right, I stopped checking it. Now this? I can't work out what would be going on in the tank to lower it so much? Any thoughts?

Think I'm going to have to buffer it up with baking soda, which I was trying to avoid, because that can't be healthy for Africans.

75g - Mixed - Yellow labs, Jalo Reef, Red-Top Hongi, Rubin Red
150g - Mixed all-male - Protomelas Steveni 'Taiwan Reef', Jacobfreibergi Eureka, OB Fire, Aulonocara Sunset, Fryeri Blue Ice, Chromobotia Macracanthus
LeeAberdeen

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: pH problem

Postby sumthinfishy » Sun May 10, 2015 9:54 pm

What are your other readings?
240 CA tank
125 SA tank
125 planted tank
125 tanganyikan tank
125 mixed african
(2) 75 growouts
(2) 33 longs with multiple L series plecos
35 breeder planted shrimp and juli cat
....and a few others
sumthinfishy

Postby GTZ » Sun May 10, 2015 10:05 pm

What's your KH level? I'd want to know before buffering.
75G Tropheus sp. 'red' (Moliro)
55G Enantiopus sp. 'Kilesa'
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ

Postby oyster dog » Mon May 11, 2015 1:51 pm

The water treatment process often alters the pH. Just letting tap water aerate for 24 hours or so will bring the pH back to equilibrium.

Some water treatment plants will intentionally raise the pH, as lead and copper (common components of pipes) are insoluble at pH > 7, and will not leach into your drinking water.
oyster dog

Postby ACC in NC » Mon May 11, 2015 2:57 pm

LeeAberdeen wrote:Not sure if this is related to the post below about water maintenance work, but just tested my pH out of the tap (right) and out of the tank (left) and can't understand the marked difference in the results? Anyone else experienced this?

I used to have a Seneye on it so I could monitor it all the time but, because it was always the same, about 7.2 or 7.3 like the one on the right, I stopped checking it. Now this? I can't work out what would be going on in the tank to lower it so much? Any thoughts?

Think I'm going to have to buffer it up with baking soda, which I was trying to avoid, because that can't be healthy for Africans.

My tap water has a pH of 7.2 and only about 20ppm of Total Alkalinity (Buffering Capacity). Do to fish waste, driftwood, and other factors the pH will rapidly drop below 6.0. I’ve been using Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) for years at 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water and it locks my pH in at 7.8. All my fish grow and breed like crazy without any health issues.
ACC in NC

Postby LeeAberdeen » Tue May 12, 2015 3:17 pm

Thanks for your replies. I buffered the pH up to 8.0 and the GH to 17DH and everything's fine now. Unfortunately, before I noticed the pH had become an issue, I lost four fish. Weirdly, it seemed to hit the yellow labs hardest of anyone and three of the four were labs, leaving just one female on her own, looking a bit sorry for herself.

At least the rest are okay and it's not a total wipeout.
75g - Mixed - Yellow labs, Jalo Reef, Red-Top Hongi, Rubin Red
150g - Mixed all-male - Protomelas Steveni 'Taiwan Reef', Jacobfreibergi Eureka, OB Fire, Aulonocara Sunset, Fryeri Blue Ice, Chromobotia Macracanthus
LeeAberdeen

Return to General Aquaria Discussion