General Aquaria Discussion • Chiclids Outwit Man

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Chiclids Outwit Man

Postby laswabbie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Headline: Malawi Cichlids Smarter than Male of the Human Species:

I received my 34 fish shipment from Dave's this morning. Man, they were in excellent condition and beautiful specimens. I couldn't have been happier. I floated the fish and then gently dumped them into the tank. I had spent a lot of time constructing the aquascape using a Universal Rock Wall, limestone, driftwood and some nice silk plantings. I had left about an inch and a half space between the rock wall and back side of the aquarium to hide all me plumbing, and had cut a number of holes in the wall for water exchange. They were covered with nylon screening. Everything was good and tight.

I was proud of the aquarium, and myself for building it, so I took a nap.

When I woke up, I sat in front of the aquarium for some more of the Cichlid show when I noticed I could only see three of the seven Yellow Labs that were supposed to be there. I couldn't find them anywhere, and I noticed that two of my Multis were missing as well. I just happened to notice some movement behind the rock wall and was horrified to see eight or ten of the fish back there. I have absolutely no idea how they got there, and I couldn't find any way to get them out without tearing down the tank. I finally just tore the screening off the water passages and now my new babies go back and forth as they please.

Once again, this human has been humbled by nature!
laswabbie

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Chiclids Outwit Man

Postby Als49 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:13 am

Perhaps the Multis were afraid of the Yellow Labs. Are there any shells for the Multis to hide?

Edit: by Multis did you mean S. multipunctatus or N. multifasciatus?
MantraAQUASCAPE.com

Planted Tanks
95G Discus, Geo
58G N. Brichardi | Neon Jewel | Tropheus
52G Gold Occie | Demasoni, Leleupi, Julie
40B Multi, Julie, Comps
Als49

Re: Chiclids Outwit Man

Postby Manifest » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 pm

laswabbie wrote:Headline: Malawi Cichlids Smarter than Male of the Human Species:

I received my 34 fish shipment from Dave's this morning. Man, they were in excellent condition and beautiful specimens. I couldn't have been happier. I floated the fish and then gently dumped them into the tank. I had spent a lot of time constructing the aquascape using a Universal Rock Wall, limestone, driftwood and some nice silk plantings. I had left about an inch and a half space between the rock wall and back side of the aquarium to hide all me plumbing, and had cut a number of holes in the wall for water exchange. They were covered with nylon screening. Everything was good and tight.

I was proud of the aquarium, and myself for building it, so I took a nap.

When I woke up, I sat in front of the aquarium for some more of the Cichlid show when I noticed I could only see three of the seven Yellow Labs that were supposed to be there. I couldn't find them anywhere, and I noticed that two of my Multis were missing as well. I just happened to notice some movement behind the rock wall and was horrified to see eight or ten of the fish back there. I have absolutely no idea how they got there, and I couldn't find any way to get them out without tearing down the tank. I finally just tore the screening off the water passages and now my new babies go back and forth as they please.

Once again, this human has been humbled by nature!

That's crazy! lol

I'm stoked, mine are supposed to arrive tomorrow.
1 leucistic bristlenose
5 P flavus
5 M sp. "Msobo" Magunga
5 C zebroides Jalo Reef
8 P cyaneorhabdos Maingano

Do you have any pics?
90g Flavus, Magunga, Jalo Reef, Maingano, L Bristlenose
Manifest

Return to General Aquaria Discussion