General Aquaria Discussion • Drip system

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Re: Drip system

Postby kd5exp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:25 pm

I guess I'm going blind in my old age. Meghan was here and I was telling her about the fry, She is my stepsons girlfriends daughter 17, and she was looking in the tank and found more fry. They are being guarded by a pair of convicts and are hiding behind ornaments I have in the tank. I caught some of them and put with the red jewels fry. It's hard for me to believe that these are so small and doing this. The convicts are maybe 1/2 dollar size and I have one in the 75 gal tank that is approx. 5 inches. These convict fry's are in the same tank as the red jewels. Got fry everywhere now.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
46 gal BF with Bumble Bees and yellow Labs
55 gal with Convicts, Jack Dempsy, Red Jewls, and Golden Auratus
75 gal with One large male Convict, Electric Blue Labs, Yellow Tailed Aces, Golden Auratus
kd5exp

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby kd5exp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:03 pm

late yesterday Meghan, 17, was checking the tanks out and spotted some more fry in the center of the tank. When I checked it out I found more fry that 2 convicts were guarding. I got some of them out and put in the raising tank with the Red Jewel fry. You can't tell them apart at this stage. My old eyes are not what they use to be I guess. Those Convicts are very protective, when a fish come by they both attack and shake the #%$& out of them. I have enough fry now so tell them to stop, no more room. Still some of each in the 55 gal tank and they are on their own. The Convicts are awful small to be spawning but this is their first. I have 1 large male in the 75 gal tank, the female disappeared somewhere, that is 4 or 5 inch's and these are about size of a half dollar. So much for the water problem at least in this tank. All fry are doing good in a 10 gal tank I have set up. Going to have to get a bigger tank. My son in law has a 55 he was talking about trying some Cichlids so I might be able to fix him up. Last time I was up there he tried to give me the 55 tank. Him and my daughter went to England for Christmas to be with his family so I will wait till he gets back and find out what he wants to do. Still need to work on the Golden Auratus and figure out what's up with them. I had 4 large females and finally found a large male to go with them. Nothing going on yet which is good for now. The Yellow Tailed Aces should be ready but nothing there either. Then the Electric Blue Labs and all of these are in the 75 gal tank. Then in the 46 I have the Bumble Bees which are 1 male and three females and Yellow labs. Nothing going on there either. All tanks set up the same with crushed coral and running on the same drip line. Plenty of rocks and cover for them. I will get a test kit and check them all after the holidays and make sure all is ok. I will post the results then. Thanks Gene
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
75 gal with One large male Convict, Electric Blue Labs, Yellow Tailed Aces, Golden Auratus
kd5exp

Postby kd5exp » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Update. Had another batch of red jewels the other day. Looking this morning I found another batch of convicts. No room for them so they are at the mercy of the fish in the tank. Couple other Jewels doing the tail dance. Wish I could get my other two tanks to do as well.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
kd5exp

Postby kd5exp » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Another update. I saw my first batch of eggs. A pair of Red Jewels laid some on a flat rock up front where I could see them. I see why they are hard to see, very small and almost clear. Couple days later I watched them pick them up and place them down in the corner of the tank. Man there where a lot of them. Keeping an eye on them I noticed two more guarding a spot behind some ornaments and I could see little fry wiggling on the bottom. Then looking at a pair of Convicts in a cave in the back in my 3D background I spotted more fry, bigger than the rest. Watching closer now I spotted a Electric Blue Lab looks like she is holding. I watched her when I feed them and she is not eating which is a sign she is holding. That is in my 75 gal. In my 46 BF I saw a Electric Yellow Lab looked like she was holding. I watched her as I feed them and she also is not eating. The bumble bees are acting funny and I think they are ready too. I have spawns in all the tanks now. I haven't changed anything so I don't know what happened. Going to have to get more tanks to raise some of these. Tanks are all full for now. I have Red Jewels and Convicts in my raise tank and they are growing. Some I think I can tell apart but not sure yet.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
kd5exp

Postby kd5exp » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:00 am

Latest update. All the fry I saved are doing good. Getting big. Traded for a couple 30 gal tanks to raise them in. I have lots of red jewls and some convicts. My blue was carrying again and this time I caught her and stripped the fry from her. It's hard to believe they have so many in their mouth. I put the in a breeding net so the big ones would not eat them. Then I noticed a lot of them were dead. Watching them I saw the bigger fish biting them while they would lay on the bottom of the net. Saved about 16 out of 27. They have their own 10 gal for now and are doing good. I have seen more eggs but do not have anywhere to put any more room so they just disappear. A guy would have to have a lot of tanks to do any kind of raising of these fish.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
kd5exp

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion