General Aquaria Discussion • Drip system

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Drip system

Postby kd5exp » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:35 pm

I have 3 tanks hooked up to a drip system and have been watching some of the setups on youtube. Looks to me it is used for removing chorine and sense I am on well water my water doesn't have any in it. My water is very hard due to all the gypson around here. Is there a need to filter the water any more. I use a water softner for the whole house and have a culligan drinking system that I have T'ed into but just on the first filter. My fish seem to be doing fine but I have been wanting to breed them and they don't seem to be doing anything. I don't know if the water has anything to do with it or not. I have a 75, a 55 and a 46 gal BF all with crushed coral. All have external filters on them and gravel filters. The tanks seems to stay very clear. I raised these before with great success at my old house and we were on city water and didn't do much about it but treat it. I had some red jewls breed 1 time and they were very small and nothing sense. It's been 6 months now and no more fry. Once a week I will put about 5 gals of fresh water in them and just let it run out the overflow to make sure it's all working right and it cleans the lines out. Any Ideas on what I can try. :-?
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
46 gal BF with Bumble Bees and yellow Labs
55 gal with Convicts, Jack Dempsy, Red Jewls, and Golden Auratus
75 gal with One large male Convict, Electric Blue Labs, Yellow Tailed Aces, Golden Auratus
kd5exp

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Drip system

Postby DJRansome » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:45 pm

What kind of fish...just jewels?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Deeda » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:51 pm

Are you asking if you need to filter the tap water prior to entering the tanks or about keeping the external filters on the tanks?

What are your water test results for GH (hardness) and KH (alkalinity) for the tanks since installing the drip system? Your drip system is after the water softener so this will alter the hardness of your water.

Finally, what fish do you have besides the jewels?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby kd5exp » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Bumble Bees and yellow labs in 46. blue labs, one large convict, yellow tail aceis, Goldem Auratus, in the 70 gal and red jewls, jack dempsys, convicts in the 55. All tanks have a plexco or two in them. Water test results are PH 8.2 and the rest 0 out. Could it be because the water is too clean. I have heard that you should have some nitrates and nitrites. The 70 and 55 are heavey stocked, the 46 has only 3 bumble bees and 4 yellow labs in it. Again any ideas. Thanks Gene
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
75 gal with One large male Convict, Electric Blue Labs, Yellow Tailed Aces, Golden Auratus
kd5exp

Postby kd5exp » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Filters are Sun Sun 3 stage on 46 and 55 and a Sun Sun 4 stage on the 75. Little over kill on all of them but keeps water moving good. They dig up the tank all over making it hard to keep anything straight but that what they do. I was looking at a 3 stage filter system on the drip system but I don't think it's needed. I didn't have all this stuff in my old tanks and very seldom did a water change and had more fry than I could keep up with.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
kd5exp

Postby Deeda » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:48 pm

The lack of nitrates is a red flag for me and usually only seen in tanks that are not cycled, heavily planted or another type of nitrate reducing feature.

Nitrites should not be found in a cycled tank.

I'm guessing you haven't tested the GH or KH of your water since you didn't post the results. You may want to consider picking up test kits for these 2 items since they are not usually included in the regular test kits.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby DJRansome » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:54 pm

You want to stock bumble bees (crabro) and auratus 1m:7f in a rectangle 48" x 18" or larger. Usually a water softener works against your water quality, try taking the water before the softener. I second the need for a test of KH.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby kd5exp » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Not to sound stupid but never heard of those tests. Always thought hardness was pH and have no idea what carbonate testing is. Where can I read up on this. Should I turn the drip off for awhile and see what happens.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
kd5exp

Postby DJRansome » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Try Googling aquarium kh test and you will see a bunch of vendors. I would not change anything until you test the water before and after the softener and in your tank.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby kd5exp » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Maybe keeping water from cycling due to fresh water always co ing in. The tanks have been running over a year now or longer. It will have to wait till spring for me to get under the house to tap into water line. I will order a test kit and check outside and inside water and see what I get.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
kd5exp

Postby DJRansome » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:16 pm

No a drip system should not impact your cycle, the bacteria live on the filter media and on surfaces, not in the water.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby kd5exp » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:47 pm

So do you think there is a problem or not. Fish all seem to be active chasing around the tank. Digging everything up and I see some tail dancing every now and then. I was just trying to figure out why they have not spawned yet. Maybe it's still too early. I have used my water for 20+ years here and no problems that I know of. I just got back into African Cichlids almaot 2 years ago and saw this drip system and figured it would be a good way to go. Also saw the 3 stage external filters and I really like them. Easy to manage and clean and they keep the water moving good. I am going to order the test kit so I can check all the parameters and make sure there is nothing going on here. What do you think about hooking the drip system to the output of the reverse osmosis system and using that. I was afraid it would be too soft of water for them. When I rinse out the filters looks like everything is working good in them. I just lightly rinse them and dump sediment out of the bottom.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
kd5exp

Postby kd5exp » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:17 pm

When I raised these fish before the Golden Auratus was my best breeding fish. I could hardly keep up with them. In fact it got where I left them in the tank and they were on their own. All I had them was a 45 gal Hexagon tank with some smaller tank for the fry. 20 gal low I believe. The blue labs did very well to. I know I had way too many fish in all the tanks and one summer night the power went off and when I got up all were dead. That's when I gave up for a while. When I got back into fish I left the African Cichlids alone and raised Oscars for a long time. That's when I got the 75 gal tank. I have had some huge Oscars and the last one I gave away to start back on the African Cichlids. I couldn't see keeping that much tank for one fish. She killed everything that was in with her even her own kind. Only one that made it with her was a very large plexco or sucker mouth catfish or alage eater what ever you want to call them. She would mess with them but they were too big. One about 14 inches long.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
kd5exp

Postby DJRansome » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:48 pm

I would not use RO water and I would test before making decisions about spawning problems.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby kd5exp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Yesterday while cleaning up around the house I noticed something cloudy in the lower right side of my 55 gal tank. When I got down to look at it closely to my surprise in was a school of fry. :D My Red Jewls had done it again and it's the same ones as last time. I keep a 10 gal tank setup and running, which I didn't have before, for this reason so I caught all I could and put them in there. All are still doing good and have gathered down in the lower corner of the tank. Impossible to count but a lot of them, maybe 50 to 75. I didn't catch them all and the few that are left with mom and dad are still doing ok. Dad was not happy with me taking them out but he will get over it. I guess I was in too big of a hurry for them. I never did see the eggs anywhere but with all the rocks they must of laid them where I could not see them or I just didn't notice them. Anyway I guess the water isn't the problem but would still like to know all the parameters so I will go ahead and get he kit to test it. Still leaves the other fish and why no fry yet. Maybe to early for them.
10 gal grow tank
30 grow tank
30 gal hexagon grow tank
kd5exp

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion