General Aquaria Discussion • Need Help Please

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Need Help Please

Postby CrazyTaz » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi im new to this site but it looks like I could get the help I need from people here, I have always had fish and really like tropicals mainly cichlids, I got a 90 gallon tank about two years ago I dont have many fish in it now but I was wanting some advice on what other fish I could put in the tank.
right now in the tank there are-
1 parrot cichlid
1 convict cichlid
1 firemouth cichlid
2 jack dempsys
2 anglefish
1 jewel cichlid
1 Phenochilus Tanzania cichlid
2 convict firemouth hybrid cichlids
they all get along very well I have done some reserch on other breeds but im still not sure I would like to keep the tak mildly aggressive and if I could I would like to add other fish besides cichlids like I thought maybe a small school of tiger barbs? if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it :P
CrazyTaz

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Need Help Please

Postby brinkles » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:31 am

I think you'll get more responses on what fish to remove. How long has this mix been together?
brinkles

Postby samaki » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:14 am

Hi I think you have enough fishes in that tank and no needs to add more.
xris :)
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby jd lover » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:51 am

My bet is if the jd pairs they'll be the only in the tank after they kill everyone. If not the convict will pair and kill everyone. If no one pairs the biggest jd will kill half the stock
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby CrazyTaz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:55 pm

the tank has been set up this way for two years now, no one fights or harrasses anyone I know the jacks and the convict are aggressive species but the ones I have are very calm and mind there own buisness, they have plenty of hidding spaces, most are full grown to almost full grown and the tank is just so empty looking, I use to have a green terror, a bumblebee and another parrot in that same tank but the filter system died on me and I was unable to get the new filter quick enough before the tank got very dirty and I lost those three fish, other then that I have never had to deal with them fighting or harrassing each other and the firemouth and convict are constantly spawning.
CrazyTaz

Postby jd lover » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:54 pm

your tank do as you wish.

but that tank is no where big enough for those guys in terms of territories and bioload.
jd lover

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:53 pm

jd lover wrote:My bet is if the jd pairs they'll be the only in the tank after they kill everyone. If not the convict will pair and kill everyone. If no one pairs the biggest jd will kill half the stock

Yep.....if they pair up it will not be good in only a 4' tank.

How big are each of these fish?
13razorbackfan

Postby jd lover » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:27 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:
jd lover wrote:My bet is if the jd pairs they'll be the only in the tank after they kill everyone. If not the convict will pair and kill everyone. If no one pairs the biggest jd will kill half the stock

if its a stander 90g it could be a custom 3ft tank or a customed 6ft either way i see death fishy lol
jd lover

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:46 pm

jd lover wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:

if its a stander 90g it could be a custom 3ft tank or a customed 6ft either way i see death fishy lol

Yeah...I could see major problems if they pair up but if they have been together for 2yrs then the convicts should have already spawned at least a couple times.
13razorbackfan

Postby jd lover » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:25 pm

thats the thing. i doubt any angel fish can survive in a tank like that for 2 years
jd lover

Postby CrazyTaz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:11 pm

My convict has spawned 6 times now with my firemouth that is how I got the two hybrids, the largest fish in there is about 6 or 7 inches, as for the angles they have been in there for the whole 2 years, I got them when they were no bigger then a dime and now they are full grown and have spawned 4 times as well, none of the cichlids even go near the angles, every one does there own thing I've never lost a fish to a fight or anything like that, i have made sure they have plenty of area for territorys and I have done my research on them as well has talked to experts a fish freaks about there aggression and all that also the parrot is not a true parrot it only gets 4- 5 inches if that helps any
CrazyTaz

Postby fmueller » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:27 am

CrazyTaz wrote:the tank is just so empty looking

Is there any chance you could post some pictures of the setup? Instructions how to post images are here. I just have a hard time imagining how a 55G with all those fish could possibly look empty. If we could have a look at your setup, it might help people make some suggestions.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby jd lover » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:02 am

Its a 90g not much a difference but just thought I'd correct ya before he uses it as an excuse lol
jd lover

Postby CrazyTaz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Yes I will try and post a picture, and yes its a 90 gallon but its only got 11 fish in it, and to jdlover I'm a she not a he and I wouldn't not have used it as an excuse
CrazyTaz

Postby countryboy814 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:30 pm

You have a potential for a very violent tank. It is really remarkable that these fish are not eating each other. I think adding more fish could upset your cosmic balance.
countryboy814

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion