General Aquaria Discussion • live food?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby BillD » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:40 pm

chadott wrote:
BillD wrote:I culture daphnia on my winter swimming pool cover, and feed vast quantities of them as well as all the bloodworms and whatever else turns up.

OK, do you mean you culture them over the winter on the cover outdoors? Or do you mean you set it up in the summer when you are not using it to cover the pool?
!

As soon as the ice melts, which be a week or so, the culture will start on the cover, and will last until I open the pool. I originally seeded the cover in the spring of 1995, with daphnia, and have had them every spring since. The insect larvae are from natural production of the various insects, which may lay eggs in the fall or spring. I get enough daphnia to keep them in front of the fish 24/7 until I have to open the pool. I usually freeze up about a half dozen small freezer bags as well. I believe that most winter pool covers will harbor a variety of insect larvae such as mosquito larvae and bloodworms as well as several other varieties of similar aquatic insect larvae. i deliver them to the basement via siphon to the floor drain and screen them off.
BillD

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: live food?

Postby muffinman10938 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:38 pm

I am culturing micro worms for my fry and white worms for my bigger cichlids. I am also about to start a culture of scuds to feed my bigger cichlids. I am able to harvest the scuds in a nearby creek.
muffinman10938

Re: live food?

Postby Fish Jerk » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:13 pm

They like just about any bug or fish, I've even seen them snap flies and mosquitoes out of the air once or twice (even saw a tetra do it once).
Fish Jerk

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion