General Aquaria Discussion • live food?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

live food?

Postby mamospreng » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:15 am

What kind of live foods can I feed me cichlids? I have a jd a jewel and a convict. I think the feeding if live food is cool because it is natural. I know about brine shrimp but what else? Would they east small crickets of the to of the water? Would it be safe to try? Any other ideas?
29 gal common jewel breeding tank

33 gal mixed
mamospreng

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby lucid_eye » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:37 am

I would suggest not doing live fish, in my experience the feeder fish you buy at the store are infested with diseases.
lucid_eye

Postby mamospreng » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 am

I've heard that. Not necessarily live fish just something?

33 gal mixed
mamospreng

Postby Chromedome52 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:45 pm

Smaller cichlids will also eat redworms, which are a great source of protein. Really fun to watch them go after worms, and if you get a tug of war going it can be hilarious. Readily available at bait stores, or you can culture your own. White worms and Grindal worms have to be cultured, can be a bit tricky, but they are great for Apistos and other Dwarf Cichlids. High fat content, which for some reason encourages egg production in females.

Some Cichlids will go to the surface and eat small insects, but with the group you have I wouldn't use them.
Whenever something seems too good to be true I find it's best to shoot it, just in case. - Fiona Glenanne on Burn Notice
Chromedome52

Postby mamospreng » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:50 pm

ok just thought that would be cool i'm also a fisherman and live to see fish eat off the top of the water.guys I stuck with the worms then...if nobody has Amy other crazy ideas?

What does everyone else do for live food? Or am I the only one who thinks its cool?

33 gal mixed
mamospreng

Postby lucid_eye » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:42 pm

I love to watch them devour live food, but there just aren't many options.
lucid_eye

Postby 13razorbackfan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:56 pm

I feed my peacocks/haps fresh dug earthworms in the spring/fall/summertime. I feed it to them once a week and they LOVE....I mean LOVE it.
13razorbackfan

Postby mamospreng » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:33 pm

I have done that its great to watch them tug at both ends. Only seen it twice but a sight to see.

33 gal mixed
mamospreng

Postby 13razorbackfan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:54 pm

mamospreng wrote:I have done that its great to watch them tug at both ends. Only seen it twice but a sight to see.
Yep...
13razorbackfan

Postby zanardi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:26 pm

I used to have larger mouthed fish like Tin Foil Barbs and Silver Dollars. I would routinely feed them freshly killed common house flies and live brown ants on occasion. They seemed to enjoy both and both were a readily available treat during the summer season.
zanardi

Postby mamospreng » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:22 pm

I couldn't stand it. At the per store and picked up the crickets. Everyone loved them they couldn't get enough! I have never seen them hit the top of the water so hard. Don't think I'll do out very often but maybe once in a while to show off:-) :dancing:

33 gal mixed
mamospreng

Postby chadott » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 am

You could always grab a small tank and grow your own feeder fish. That way you would know they aren't full of disease. (and another tank to watch :thumb: )

They also sell (and you may have to find these online) flightless fruit fly cultures. They are small, but would be a nice treat for your fish once in a while. Or the crickets!

I'm sure you can find all sorts of worms, small insects, ants, etc. around when it warms up. Just make sure you are collecting from a pesticide free spot. Collecting anything "wild" to put in your tank should be done with caution.

Have fun!!
chadott

Postby BillD » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 am

there are any number of aquatic insect larvae such as mosquito larvae, bloodworms, glassworms, as well as daphnia which can be cultured. Even though some of these may seem small, larger fish will still eat them. It depends on where you are and time of year as to the availability of them. Small earthworms are also excellent and redworms are easily cultured at home, being fed vegetable scraps. I culture daphnia on my winter swimming pool cover, and feed vast quantities of them as well as all the bloodworms and whatever else turns up.
BillD

Postby chadott » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:16 pm

BillD wrote:I culture daphnia on my winter swimming pool cover, and feed vast quantities of them as well as all the bloodworms and whatever else turns up.

OK, do you mean you culture them over the winter on the cover outdoors? Or do you mean you set it up in the summer when you are not using it to cover the pool?

Will cichlids such as the ones he mentioned eat microworms? If he's breeding them, I would suggest a culture of those. They are easy to keep, easy to feed, and work great for any kind of small fish. I don't know why a jewel wouldn't eat them! And of course, the obvious brine shrimp is always enjoyed by just about any fish!
chadott

Postby mambee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:47 pm

I have a plastic trash container on my fire escape that I was using to soak a piece of driftwood. I got a summer's worth of mosquito larvae, bloodworms, and daphnia.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion