General Aquaria Discussion • daphnia in my tank?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

daphnia in my tank?

Postby peterl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:13 pm

I have recently noticed small (~.1 or .2 mm) creatures in my 15 gallon planted shrimp tank. They are whitish and swim with really jerky movements. I occasionally notice them on the back glass or in the java moss.

If they are live daphnia, how did they get into the tank? There has been nothing new added (livestock or plants) in at least 6 months.

TIA

Peter
peterl

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Malawidolphin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:56 pm

They are probably "cyclops". They can come in on wood, plants, sand, rocks.....pretty much anything. They are harmless and if there are any fish in the tank the cyclops will soon disappear. they seem to magically appear. Ihad them appear in a 55 gal and I scooped some out and took them to the science lab at the high school I worked at. We put them under a microscope and sure enough they were cyclops. Very cool lookin under close up. Mine disappeared after I added a giant blue Gourami to the tank.
Malawidolphin

Postby peterl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:53 pm

I figure they are some sort of copepod. The only inhabitants of the tank are A LOT of red cherry and tiger shrimp, and a trio of breeding otocinculus (plus fry). I expect these copepods are a new permanent resident of the tank.
peterl

Return to General Aquaria Discussion