General Aquaria Discussion • how to lower ph? to 6.5, in the 6 range?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby TheeMon » Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 pm

kornphlake wrote:I'm with theemon, some people come off pretty high and mighty thinking they can solve any problem with their years of experiance by probing into the deepest depth of one's soul. Rather a particular species can be kept in different water parameters is pretty irrelevant, the question was how to lower pH, not what pH is appropriate. The OP has already done some research to determine the necessary pH, why do we feel the need to confound the answer with more questions. No bridges were burnt by theemon, but certain responses have been a little immature and to a point condescending.

thank you, my point exactly, i need help with a general problem, why and how i use it isnt that important.

and thx for the advice, both of you.

how much is a r/o filter? you mean one for my sink right? not the tank
TheeMon

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Barbie » Thu May 22, 2008 8:28 pm

If you're starting at the point of understanding nothing about water chemistry and how it works, lowering your pH to 6.5 is probably a terrible idea. That's why you're getting so much flack from people. Trying to figure out the solution to the problem in some way that will allow you to keep everything stable is always going to be a better idea than running off with half the information needed and potentially killing stuff.

Basically, the softer your water is, the less ability there is to maintain a stable pH. kH is your alkalinity, or your waters method of keeping the pH from fluctuating. Without enough buffering capacity, the pH will be more affected by even slight amounts of acids (peat, driftwood tannins, or even fish waste). RO/DI water is a method of starting with water with 0 hardness (or close to it anyway) and adding back in just what you need to stay stable.

Most fish or inverts can adapt to a pH that's quite a ways outside their natural range, if it's done slowly and if you keep in mind that fish from naturally acidic water have little to no tolerance to ammonia. They aren't exposed to it in their natural environment. Below a pH of 6 ammonia converts to ammonium.

People attempting to get enough information to truly help you solve your problem should be something you value, not insult, btw ;). Anyone can give you any old answer and you could potentially believe it, since you're asking in the first place.

Barbie
Barbie

Postby TheeMon » Thu May 22, 2008 9:14 pm

really? i didnt know r/o water did that. he told me r/o water was a must, and I've been in the process of figuring out why, now alot more of it makes sence.
TheeMon

Postby kornphlake » Thu May 22, 2008 11:12 pm

Theemon did you read the article in the library on chemistry? Really that should be the starting point, it's very well written.
kornphlake

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion