General Aquaria Discussion • how to lower ph? to 6.5, in the 6 range?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

how to lower ph? to 6.5, in the 6 range?

Postby TheeMon » Wed May 21, 2008 3:27 pm

whats the best way to keep your ph low, and stay low. i know theres stuff you can keep in your tank to keep the ph low, i just dont know what. I've always had to worry about keeping it higher
TheeMon

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby mithesaint » Wed May 21, 2008 4:00 pm

What fish are you planning on keeping?

I prefer to buy fish locally, as they are usually already acclimated to local water parameters, and then you don't have to worry about keeping a specific pH. Consistency in pH is better than trying to hit exact natural parameters.
mithesaint

Postby Cook.MN » Wed May 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Here are things I have done to lower my PH with no luck...but they're suppose to work.

Driftwood
Peat Moss
DI Water
RO Water

Good luck
Cook.MN

Postby under_control » Wed May 21, 2008 6:10 pm

RO water should lower your ph. If it didn't, you didn't add enough. If you have really hard water, then you need more ro.

Many people who want low ph start with ro and buffer it up.
under_control

Postby TheeMon » Wed May 21, 2008 8:14 pm

how does r/o water lower ph? and how do you get r/o water?
TheeMon

Postby Number6 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 pm

mithesaint wrote:What fish are you planning on keeping?

I prefer to buy fish locally, as they are usually already acclimated to local water parameters, and then you don't have to worry about keeping a specific pH. Consistency in pH is better than trying to hit exact natural parameters.

Excellent question. I always think it's good to find out the motivation so that the advice can be thorough and keep the goals of the originator in mind.

As for R/O water, it does not lower pH in all cases... it lowers the KH and GH of the water which can lend itself to lowering the pH.
An R/O filter plus driftwood or black water extract might be one way you could go... it depends on your answers to mithesaint though.
My WC cichlids are gonna be caught on rod n reel!
Number6

Postby TheeMon » Wed May 21, 2008 10:04 pm

very soon im getting some delicate shrimp and they require the ph around 6.5, and i dont particually want to keep adding chemicals to keep it there...

all my experience has been geared tward keeping it high, not purposfully lowering it, so i asked
TheeMon

Postby Number6 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm

what species of shrimp? and these aren't tank bred yet? These things matter :)
Number6

Postby TheeMon » Thu May 22, 2008 12:57 am

man are you kidding me? just answer my questions......

look there blue tiger shrimp, and im following the breeders directions, he has his tanks setup like this and i will too.
TheeMon

Postby Number6 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:47 am

It matters a great deal what animal and what species you are dealing with when you attempt to lower pH and what methods work well...

E.g. Crystal Reds vs your blue tigers...

but you don't seem interested in this info... suggest you go ask the breeder how they do it as you've burned your bridges here on this thread.

"No soup for you!" :roll:
Number6

Postby TheeMon » Thu May 22, 2008 1:23 pm

why u gotta be like that? it would have taken 30seconds to type my answer, or if you didnt know just left it be. then after u gave me my answer you could have instructed me on the shrimp, i still am new to the shrimp game so i wouldnt mind the extra advice, but this is a fish forum that deals with water params alot, thats why i asked here. i have other forums for shrimp/invert help, but ill take good advice from anyone...

btw your no soup nazis
TheeMon

Postby under_control » Thu May 22, 2008 2:06 pm

TheeMon wrote:why u gotta be like that? it would have taken 30seconds to type my answer, or if you didnt know just left it be. then after u gave me my answer you could have instructed me on the shrimp, i still am new to the shrimp game so i wouldnt mind the extra advice, but this is a fish forum that deals with water params alot, thats why i asked here. i have other forums for shrimp/invert help, but ill take good advice from anyone...

btw your no soup nazis

Keep talking. You're digging a hole next to the bridge you just burned.

We ask questions like this because the methods of doing things are important. If your breeder already does this why not ask him HOW he does it.

Rocket science.
under_control

Postby Laurel » Thu May 22, 2008 2:37 pm

I don't really understand the rationale behind people asking people for help then getting upset (and subsequently insulting them) when they need more information before dispensing advise.

I ran into this all the time working at an auto parts store and I see it on cichlid forum a lot. Some of the replies in this forum remind me of ethug.txt :lol:
Laurel

Postby Cook.MN » Thu May 22, 2008 5:33 pm

What am I? Chop Liver? I answered correctly! Do I get a cookie?
Cook.MN

Postby kornphlake » Thu May 22, 2008 5:48 pm

I'm with theemon, some people come off pretty high and mighty thinking they can solve any problem with their years of experiance by probing into the deepest depth of one's soul. Rather a particular species can be kept in different water parameters is pretty irrelevant, the question was how to lower pH, not what pH is appropriate. The OP has already done some research to determine the necessary pH, why do we feel the need to confound the answer with more questions. No bridges were burnt by theemon, but certain responses have been a little immature and to a point condescending.

To get low pH start with soft water, reverse osmosis (RO) is one way of removing all dissolved solids from the water. To get RO water you either need to buy a reverse osmosis filter or buy bottled water that has been filtered by reverse osmosis. Distilled water would be another option, it's obtained by boiling water, because different molecules will have different boiling points at exactly 100C only H2O molecules will evaporate, catching those molecules in a still you can then condense pure water, distilling water usually takes more energy and time than RO which is why RO is the most common recommendation. Water with zero hardness has very little buffering capacity so when you add peat to the filter, or black water extract or vinegar, or muriatic acid for that matter the pH will drop proportionate to the amount of hydrogen ions you added. You do want some buffer in the water (either from tap water or by using salts) because as fish waste accumulates it will drop the pH as well, slightly buffering the water will keep the water parameters more consistant between water changes. As far as I'm aware any of the chemicals marketed for the aquarium trade to lower pH are safe for any fish or invertibrate, pick whatever you're most comfortable with or have the easiest access to.

There's an article in the library about water parameters that probably explains pH better than I have, I'd suggest reading that.
kornphlake

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion