General Aquaria Discussion • Just picked up a 5 Gallon tank...

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby heylady » Sat May 17, 2008 6:06 am

Do not be surprised if the betta ends up killing any fish you put in with him. IME male bettas can get quite aggressive with small fish and in a small tank they are very capable of catching/cornering and killing their tankmates. This goes for shrimp too.
IMO I'd keep the betta by himself and maybe go for a planted tank. This can look quite stunning! And the betta will love it!

50g 1 red oscar
heylady

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby lab911 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:54 am

I would go with a nicely planted tank (with live plants) and add a few dwarf frogs. If you really want some fish with the betta maybe try the fast but small white cloud tetras. They do not require a heated tank and you never mentioned having a heater for the five gallon eclipse. I would not put any danios due to their tendency to nip fins. I would be afraid that the male bettas long fins would be too much of a temptation. I have had bad luck with the killie fish becomimg too aggressive and killing my mollies, platy's and even my large swordtails. I would stay away from any killie fish too.
My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
lab911

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion