General Aquaria Discussion • Just picked up a 5 Gallon tank...

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Just picked up a 5 Gallon tank...

Postby Cook.MN » Wed May 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Cause I felt so bad for those Bettas in the fish stores, was thinking I could add 5 tetras to his tank as well? I have only kept Bettas as a young kid and I only kept them alone.

Would adding 5 tetra cramp him? I hear that Bettas are actually a friendly fish who do prefer company so wanted to get him some buddies.
Cook.MN

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby dwarfpike » Thu May 15, 2008 3:50 am

Not much room in it ... if you want to do lots of water changes, could add some ... i'd go with rasboras though, more themed. :thumb:

Harequins rasboras are one of the prettiest fish when settled in ...
dwarfpike

Postby naegling23 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:19 am

get him a small dwarf aquatic frog.

In a 5 gallon, your only going to be able to add a couple of tetra's. 1 or 2 tetra's isnt going to make it more interesting though imho, you really need 6 or so to make tetra's worthwhile. Your better off with another interesting small fish in there, kuli loaches might be another suggestion.
naegling23

Postby Cook.MN » Thu May 15, 2008 10:32 am

It is one of those eclipse tanks with a biowheel filter and heater, so it's not just a 5 gallon bucket :D
Cook.MN

Postby straitjacketstar » Thu May 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Trigonostigma (Rasbora) espei or hengeli would be better suited to a smaller tanks than T. heteromorpha as both stay smaller. A 5 would accomidate either species with a little more elbow room.
Anything in the Boraras genus would also fit nicely. They stay small and could be housed in a good number group.
straitjacketstar

Postby dwarfpike » Thu May 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Ack. Fell into the common name trap! :lol: Should of been more specific which harlequin rasbora I meant!!!

Those new Boraras brigittae are stunning ... I think they go by the common name Phoenix rasboras ...

See? Included the scientific name this time ... old dogs can learn new tricks. :D
dwarfpike

Postby straitjacketstar » Thu May 15, 2008 2:27 pm

All of the Boraras sp. look amazing but I can't keep up with the common names! lol
I thought B. brigittae were going by "Brigitte's Rasbora"?! :lol:
straitjacketstar

Postby Cook.MN » Thu May 15, 2008 2:30 pm

:roll:

So...small fish :lol:
Cook.MN

Postby straitjacketstar » Thu May 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Cook.MN wrote::roll:

So...small fish :lol:

More like....tiny. :P
straitjacketstar

Postby Laurel » Thu May 15, 2008 6:59 pm

How do killies do in tanks that small?
Laurel

Postby straitjacketstar » Fri May 16, 2008 12:36 am

I know the avid killi breeders use no more than small containers to spawn many of their less common African and South American species. I don't know how ideal a 5 gallon tank would be for any of them as a living situation but I believe some of the South American Cynolebias sp. would probably fit the bill.
I've had a group of Lucania goodei (North American) do nicely in a 5.5 along with some pygmy sunnies.
I've also always wanted to try the small Leptolucania ommata (North American), which seem like a perfect choice for a small tank, but never found a source for them.
straitjacketstar

Postby toddnbecka » Fri May 16, 2008 2:16 am

Here you go straitjacketstar, an online source for pygmy killifish :thumb: http://www.aquaculturestore.com/fwverts.html
No more excuses for not trying them out. :P
Pics and commenary when you do... :popcorn:
toddnbecka

Postby dwarfpike » Fri May 16, 2008 11:53 am

One I would avoid is the celestial pearl danio/gaxaly rasbora ... as pretty and tiny as they are, they prefer much cooler water than the betta does.
dwarfpike

Postby dwschacht » Fri May 16, 2008 12:24 pm

Cook.MN wrote:It is one of those eclipse tanks with a biowheel filter and heater, so it's not just a 5 gallon bucket :D

stop dissing my 5 gallon buckets! :oops:

I have 3 set up with holding female africans in them at the moment. :oops:

At least I put sponge filters in them!
dwschacht

Postby theinjected1 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:21 pm

Go with a trio of male endlers. A female would be worthless because of the lack of color and the fact that if they did breed, the betta would most likely eat the fry.
theinjected1

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion