General Aquaria Discussion • Ants! ANTS! ANTS Everywhere! Help!!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby BillD » Tue May 06, 2008 12:29 am

The normal way of using Borax is to mix it with sugar (50/50). The ants take the sugar coated with borax to their hill or nest, where it usually wipes out the colony.
Diatomecious earth is not a poison, but kills insects by clogging their spiracles so they suffocate.
Ant traps should do the job in this case.
BillD

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Shwaine » Tue May 06, 2008 3:12 am

If you don't want to pay a professional, become an ant detective. Start observing outside the house for any points of entry they might be using. Fill in any holes you find. If you find the main nest, note where it is for baiting. Trap a few and view them under a microscope to identify species. This will help target any baits to that species. Get a bait for that species and apply it outside to the nest (if you found it) and around any points of entry you discovered.

For the ants still within the house, hopefully they aren't nesting in the walls. Vacuum up any you see. If you sealed all the entry cracks, you should notice the ants disappearing after a week or so. If they still seem to be streaming in, return to being an ant detective. Pay close mind to things like landscaping bushes that may be touching the side of the building and providing paths you didn't check before.

I had horrible ant problems when I first moved in here last year. After spending a couple weeks observing them, I found three gaps they were using to get in. So I baited around those areas and sealed the gaps. I've only had one indoor ant incident this spring and that was because there was a secondary crack next to one of the three I'd sealed that I hadn't noticed last year. Unfortunately, the ants are still in the yard because they are a species that form mega-colonies (many queens with all the workers able to go into any queen's nest freely) and my neighbors don't seem to be willing to work with me on an irradication plan. But the house has been reclaimed at least.
Shwaine

Postby dogofwar » Tue May 06, 2008 8:40 am

Grants for Ants traps have always worked greta for me. Takes a few days.
dogofwar

I think I have this one under control

Postby PSREED » Wed May 14, 2008 11:05 am

I bought some ant traps and set them out and think the ant problem is over for the moment. Thanks for all your ideas and solutions. I wound up killing most of them by hand and setting up the traps in their path and now I only find a stray ants here and there.

Thanks again!
PSREED

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion