General Aquaria Discussion • Ants! ANTS! ANTS Everywhere! Help!!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Ants! ANTS! ANTS Everywhere! Help!!

Postby PSREED » Sun May 04, 2008 9:14 pm

I have been invaded! I have a serious ant problem in my fishroom.
The ants are in fish tank powerhead filters, around and under the hoods and lights! These little things seem to be everywhere! Please let me know what you use to kill ants around the fish tanks. I do not want to use "Raid" for fear it will get into the tanks and filters and kill my fish.

Thankfully they are the non-biting ants. Or at least they are so far. I have been going crazy killing them with a rag and my fingers. There are too many to keep up.

Please give me your suggestions and help ASAP!!
Thanks! Pete
PSREED

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Ravenatnm » Sun May 04, 2008 9:31 pm

Can you get one of these from your zoo for a couple days?

J/K
Ravenatnm

Postby Ravenatnm » Sun May 04, 2008 9:55 pm

Could you try some of those sticky fly strips?
Ravenatnm

Postby herb » Sun May 04, 2008 10:30 pm

I think diatomaceous earth will kill them, in a powder form, you can sprinkle it around the room, it will kill them. and it is not toxic.

herb
it doesn't take all kinds, we have just got them.
herb

Postby Cook.MN » Sun May 04, 2008 11:20 pm

I'm having an ant problem too...go figure eh?

I have cats and dogs and I'm unsure what to use around them...
Cook.MN

Hey Herb

Postby PSREED » Sun May 04, 2008 11:30 pm

Where can I buy some diatomaceous earth? I am ready to try anything at this point. I would even love getting an anteater from the zoo.
Pete
PSREED

Postby crabs » Mon May 05, 2008 12:43 am

you can get D. Earth from a pool shop.

There is some stuff you get in a little white bottle, thinks its called ant rid. You put a few drops of it around and the ants pick it up and take it back to the nest and it kills them all.

Because its only a few drops around the place it shouldnt get into your tank, plus you are not going to have to spread D.Earth around everywhere... give it a try.
crabs

Postby SOLOSHOOTER » Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 am

If you have ants in one room, I would assume you have them through-out the house. I would address the problem one the outside of the house first. Apply a barrier of pesticide around the outside parimeter of the house. Place a couple of ant traps in each room of the house. If problem persists call a pest control company. What you need to do is apply a pest control powder so the critter can take the poison to the nest and infect the rest of your pests.

I had a problem with black ants. Needed to call a pest control (Orkin) cost me approx. $600 for a years worth of treatments but afterwards no ants.

I've never heard on diatom filter power being a poison to kill ants. If that were the case how can we use it to filter your aquariums?
75 Gal. 11 F1 Aulo. sp. Lwanda - 1 Pleco
55 Gal. Mixed - 2 Hap Morri - 2 Frontosa - 6 Ruby Red Peacocks - 1 Pleco
30 Gal. Breeder - 7 F1 Aulo. stuatgranti - Ngara - 1 Pleco
20 Gal. Grow out tank
10 Gal. Fry tank
www.MittenStateCichlids.com
SOLOSHOOTER

Postby MalawiLover » Mon May 05, 2008 11:00 am

Another good (mostly non-toxic) way to treat the ants is borax powder (the most popular brand is 20 Mule Team), you can find it in either the cleaning aisle or the laundry aisle. For some reason the ants will take it back to their nests to feed the colony, except it kills them instead. I would not put it anywhere it could go into the tanks, but it has no fumes and since it is granular, should be easy to see if you got it on your hand.

We have started using this method anywhere the dogs would be able to get to it. It doesn't seem to interest them like the ant bait stations do.
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
IS YOUR DECHLORINATOR WORKING??
MalawiLover

Postby bell » Mon May 05, 2008 11:27 am

we have a large carpenter ant colony within a few hundred feet of our house.....they never get in our basement so they didn't bother the fish, but we also have cats.
our exterminator came and did the diatomaceous earth stuff in some spots the cats couldn't get to and within 2 weeks the problem was gone. $600/year sounds outrageous for treatment imo, our guy charged us about $80 and came back twice to reapply......we did not use orkin.
bell

Postby MalawiLover » Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 am

bell wrote:$600/year sounds outrageous for treatment imo, our guy charged us about $80 and came back twice to reapply......we did not use orkin.

It does matter a lot on where you live for the prices, and the type of ants. Carpenter ants (while huge and scarry) really only come into you home if you are on a migration trail (our kitchen in Connecticut was Grand Central Station for those guys for about two weeks every spring). Here in the DC area we get those annoyning little ants (some people call them grease ants since they always show up in the kitchen) and it can cost upwards of $1000-$1500 for a year long treatment plan. They come in when the weather starts to get warm in the spring (looking for water) and agin in the fall as it starts to get cold (before they hibernate). Last year an appointment for inspection and a single treatment was something like $140.
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
MalawiLover

Postby Deeda » Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 am

Terro liquid ant bait also uses boric acid. It comes in drops or in trap form. I'm using it now in bathroom & basement for small ant problem. Seems to be doing its job. Its also safe around your pets.
Deeda

Postby bell » Mon May 05, 2008 2:28 pm

MalawiLover wrote:
bell wrote:$600/year sounds outrageous for treatment imo, our guy charged us about $80 and came back twice to reapply......we did not use orkin.

It does matter a lot on where you live for the prices, and the type of ants.

i guess that makes sense :D

my wife and i are moving to florida this summer.....can't wait to see what kind of little critters we get to deal with.......palmetto bugs suck :D
bell

Postby MalawiLover » Mon May 05, 2008 2:33 pm

bell wrote:
my wife and i are moving to florida this summer.....can't wait to see what kind of little critters we get to deal with.......palmetto bugs suck :D

Remember never to try to kill a Florida bug by droping a brick or stone on it.....it only makes the bugs mad and gives them a weapon.
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
MalawiLover

Postby peterl » Mon May 05, 2008 8:47 pm

Deeda wrote:Terro liquid ant bait also uses boric acid. It comes in drops or in trap form. I'm using it now in bathroom & basement for small ant problem. Seems to be doing its job. Its also safe around your pets.

Boric acid is supposed to work very well, BUT you should not use it if you have other pets (i.e. cats or dogs). I would also worry that ants might carry it into the tanks, too.
peterl

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion