General Aquaria Discussion • powers out!!!!

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

powers out!!!!

Postby car23los23 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:37 pm

the power went out for 3 to 4 hours wen my Oscars were home alone ... i have an emperor 400 , is the good bacteria dead??? do i have to cycle my tank again ??????
car23los23

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Burtess » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:07 pm

Check your water parameters (NH4, NO2), if they are elevated (above 0) then some of your beneficial bacteria have died, and you are in a cycle (mini-cycle hopefully)...

Burt :)
Burtess

Postby Malawidolphin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:09 pm

I went through a 8 hour power outage and had no ill effects. I would stir the water when I was near the tank to help with oxygenating but other than that all I could do is wait. I would test your water several times over the next few days and do water changes if necessary.
Malawidolphin

Postby sunnygrl_ks » Fri May 23, 2008 10:43 am

hmm.... i never even thought about that.... our power was off for a week this winter with the ice storms, I had to pull everyone out and shove them into my inlaws 29 gal tank.... that was fun!.... but when the electricity came back on and the temp got back up to normal from 35 deg., I just did a water change and put them all back in. I only lost 3 fish and that was it just got too cold for them before I could get them out.
sunnygrl_ks

Postby Toby_H » Fri May 23, 2008 12:02 pm

4 or 5 hours is not enough to allow the bacteria to die... your fine...
The happier you make your fish the happier they will make you

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness for all
Toby_H

Postby dwarfpike » Fri May 23, 2008 12:38 pm

As long as your wheel was still damp, you should be fine. Biowheels are great becuase in the rare occurance of a longer outage, you can just toss the biowheel itself into the tank water to make sure it doesn't dry out.
dwarfpike

Postby kingdave » Fri May 23, 2008 1:33 pm

My power went out for a whole day a couple of weeks ago. I went to the LFS to buy a battery powered air pump with airstone. When I got home, lo and behold, the power was back on. At least I'm prepared for the next outage with the battery powered pump to oxygenate the water. I guess it wouldn't do anything for the bacteria colony though.
kingdave

Return to General Aquaria Discussion